Senior Proposal Strategist
The Senior Proposal Strategist serves as a strategic consultant for complex deals across multiple Mercer solutions for both competitive rebids and new business opportunities. The scope of the role includes leading and facilitating strategy discussions, project managing client-facing deliverables, collaborating with graphic designers to create innovative messaging and writing and peer reviewing. The Senior Proposal Strategist will drive best practices, have a passion for winning and serve as a mentor to junior staff.
Preferred locations for the role are Los Angeles, Denver or Seattle but we are open to considering other locations.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategic Consultant/Writer: 60%
- Leads or facilitates strategy discussion with the pursuit team to identify client-centered value propositions and supporting Mercer differentiators.
- Demonstrates competency in best practice approaches to client-centric proposals and presentations.
- Works closely with graphic designers to create optimal visuals that support messaging, including cover designs and other graphics.
- Writes persuasive and articulate executive summaries that speak to "why us", and not the competition.
- Collaborates with a proposal project manager to complete RFP or presentation projects; write responses and content that clearly and persuasively describes our company, services and processes.
- Advocates use of innovative media where possible and appropriate.
Project Manager: 30%
For a subset of deals, assumes lead responsibility for managing the proposal and presentation development process. Specific activities include the following:
- Develops and drives internal work plan of deadlines and deliverables.
- Reviews RFPs and other client material to gain complete understanding of requirements.
- Creates proposal or presentation template aligned with client requirements and company branding standards.
- Researches and drafts responses to RFP questions using internal resources.
- Holds master drafts of proposals and presentations, incorporating edits and changes and sending out revised drafts to the pursuit team.
- Works closely with pursuit team to resolve open items during the proposal and presentation development process.
- Advises on production and delivery.
- Manages the upload of final proposal submissions to online procurement sites as needed.
Other Responsibilities: 10%
- Provides coaching and guidance to junior team members.
- Understands and applies company branding and style guidelines, and applies them in proposals and presentations.
- Obtains feedback from pursuit team members after deliverable completion to determine areas for improvement.
- Performs final editorial peer review of proposal and presentation drafts for colleagues.
- Completes content management activities, including loading final deliverables to internal SharePoint site and extracting best practice content for Qvidian database.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Education: Bachelor's degree in business, journalism, marketing, English, or communications preferred.
- Experience: 7-10 years of experience in marketing, sales, or related field; professional services background strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and skills: Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Familiarity with Microsoft SharePoint. Excellent research, organizational, and communication skills, particularly writing and editing. Exceptional customer service focus.
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today . Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity .
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
See Inside the Office of Marsh & McLennan Companies
Marsh & McLennan Companies are four organizations—Marsh, Mercer, Guy Carpenter, and Oliver Wyman—that share a purpose of helping clients meet challenges and seize opportunities. As a unique professional services firm, Marsh & McLennan Companies boasts a global network of 60,000 experts in risk strategy, helping complex organizations manage risks and make the most of their opportunities, their capital, and their people.
Back to top