Senior Government Financial Consultant
- Atlanta, GA
Mercer's Government Human Services Consulting (GHSC) practice focuses on the unique and challenging needs of the public health care sector, providing a wide array of consulting services to local, state, and federal government agencies across the country. GHSC helps clients achieve better outcomes, develop and deploy defensible strategies, and reshape the delivery of health care. We deliver an individualized focus, powered by industry-leading experience, integrated capabilities and passionate people. GHSC has been partnering with states and other stakeholder organizations for over 34 years to face the demands and pace of change with data-driven pricing, clinically-informed policy and trusted, reliable strategies to manage and deliver care.
To accomplish these challenging and exciting tasks, GHSC brings together a team of highly-skilled and dedicated consultants, clinicians, actuaries, analysts, accountants and pharmacists across four offices in Phoenix, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Washington DC.
To learn more about Mercer's GHSC practice, please visit www.mercer-government.mercer.com.
The Senior Government Consultant will lead and manage relationships and engagements. Clients are primarily state Medicaid agencies and divisions within the agencies, (i.e., Acute Care, Substance Abuse, Long-Term Care, Developmentally Disabled, Managed Care and Fee-For-Service departments). Responsibilities include client management, client engagement and satisfaction, new and expanded business development, contract negotiation and scope, project management and team management.
To fulfill this role, the Senior Government Financial Consultant can expect to:
- Work with client and team Project Managers to clearly define the scope, timelines and deliverable(s) of the project; ensure development and proposes essential project documents, including the budget and work plans.
- Ensure regular communication with client to review project status and expectations; provide expertise and insight to the client and team to solve potential problems within the project; manage scope of project, budget and timelines.
- Manage the relationship with the key client stakeholders and oversee client engagements including: overseeing multiple project managers; ensuring the team is within budget, on time and producing work consistent with the scope of work; ensuring communication with client, project team and senior client leader.
- Be responsible for the project resource management including: identifying and securing resources; ensuring work is leveraged to the right skill and career level; and providing team members opportunity to develop skills and expertise. Additionally, ensure project managers are coordinating tasks with specialists on the project team.
- Define the strategy for and lead the RFP process; develop cost proposal; evaluate conversion/recovery/ aspects of RFP; evaluate risk and manage RFP through Mercer internal legal and executive approval process.
- Identify opportunities for expanded revenue with existing clients. Utilize knowledge of client's challenges and of the diverse expertise within Mercer Government to identify sales opportunities. These opportunities can be for established expertise and services or for new and innovative expertise and services.
- Organize and execute a multi-faceted sales plan to include: building effective and collaborative relationships with key decision-makers within target organizations; conducting a minimum number of face to face meetings with prospects; and participating in professional organizations and informal networks to develop, build and sustain a network to obtain prospects.
- Continuously develop expertise in health policy, including financial and operational aspects of Medicaid programs, federal regulatory issues, and health care reform. Consider the implication of policy, law, political, etc. changes impact client and client's programs.
- Develop intellectual capital; lead or participate in the development of tools or processes that can be leveraged for multiple clients.
To be considered for this position, the following qualifications and experience are required:
- BA/BS degree
- Minimum15 years of relevant consulting experience required with 5 years of recent experience in governmental health care
- Minimum 5 years leading client relationships including acting as the relationship manager for all projects performed for a client as well as managing contract compliance
- Minimum 8 years' knowledge and experience with Medicaid programs
- Successful business-to-business sales experience including selling to executive/senior level employees
- Ability to learn, understand and apply the Mercer value proposition
- Ability to work independently (initiate/qualify prospects) and as a member of a team (developing proposed solutions)
- Excellent project management and interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organization and time-management capabilities
- Strategic thinker
- Takes charge and makes tough decisions. Demonstrates a "can do attitude."
- Proactive and fearless. Moves beyond his or her comfort zone in pursuit of Mercer's vision.
- Effective communicator, good listener with strong inter-personal skills.
- Role model who engenders loyalty and longevity among team.
Our deep knowledge bank, with winning strategies, creative ideas, tested innovation and industry recognized guidelines are why clients choose Mercer. This is our foundation, but our people bring everything to life, sharing their experience and knowledge to improve every outcome. Employees choose Mercer for career growth, as well as the opportunity to assist clients in providing efficient and innovative ways to deliver vital health care services. Projects include helping clients navigate the Affordable Care Act, program design for innovative models of health care, analyzing health care costs and trends, and assessing quality incentives and strategies to improve overall managed care program effectiveness. Mercer's stimulating and learning filled environment helps build strong relationships with colleagues and our clients.
Mercer is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V.
Mercer GHSC is a specialty practice within Mercer's Health business. Mercer's Health business has the world's largest and most influential benefits brokerage and consulting capabilities. We strategize with clients of all sizes and industries to find benefits solutions that fit their needs. We provide the optimal combination of local-market knowledge and nationally-driven best practices. Our innovations translate into superior benefits for clients and distinguish Mercer in the marketplace.
Mercer GHSC is in a unique position to help our clients achieve the extraordinary - and extraordinary results require extraordinary people. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about ideas, love solving problems and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the career opportunities available through Mercer. Our competitive programs, entrepreneurial spirit and team-oriented culture offer a richly rewarding and exciting environment where you can excel and achieve your professional goals.
To learn more about Mercer GHSC, visit us at https://www.mercer-government.mercer.com
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC). Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Back to top