Senior Government Behavioral Health Consultant
Mercer's Government Human Services Consulting (GHSC) practice focuses on the unique and challenging needs of the public health care sector, providing a wide array of consulting services to local, state, and federal government agencies across the country. GHSC helps clients achieve better outcomes, develop and deploy defensible strategies, and reshape the delivery of health care. We deliver an individualized focus, powered by industry-leading experience, integrated capabilities and passionate people. GHSC has been partnering with states and other stakeholder organizations for over 34 years to face the demands and pace of change with data-driven pricing, clinically-informed policy and trusted, reliable strategies to manage and deliver care.
To accomplish these challenging and exciting tasks, GHSC brings together a team of highly-skilled and dedicated consultants, clinicians, actuaries, analysts, accountants and pharmacists across four offices in Phoenix, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Washington DC.
To learn more about Mercer's GHSC practice, please visit www.mercer-government.mercer.com.
To fulfill this specialist role, the Senior Government Behavioral Health Consultant will:
- Participate on multiple project teams as a subject matter expert in behavioral health managed care programs and operations. Projects are diverse and include strategic planning; program design; procurement; performance based contracting; readiness and post implementation reviews; managed care reporting, monitoring and performance management; briefing documents; focused studies; and clinical support for actuarial analyses
- Coordinate and manage project teams, ensuring the team is within budget, on time and producing work consistent with the scope of work and ensuring communication with client, project team and senior client leader
- Develop and present reports on project results to clients, managed care entities and related entities
- Coordinate with client and sector leaders to develop new business, including defining the proposal strategy; leading the proposal process, drafting technical and financial proposals, conducting sales presentations and identifying opportunities for expanded revenue with existing clients
- Work with the clinical behavioral health sector leader to identify and secure resources, ensuring work is leveraged to the right skill and career level, and providing team members opportunity to develop skills and expertise
- Stay current on market trends and the regulatory environment; consider the implication of new trends or changes in policies or regulations on clients' programs
- Develop intellectual capital; lead or participate in the development of tools or processes that can be leveraged for multiple clients
To be considered for this position, the following qualifications and experience are required:
- A clinical license/certification in a behavioral health discipline or Registered Nurse (RN) with experience working in a behavioral health environment
- MA/MS degree or higher preferred
- Extensive behavioral health managed care experience at a managerial level or extensive state administration experience as a bureau chief or senior director over behavioral health programs and services
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant experience required
- Medicaid experience required
- Familiar with implementation of evidence-based practices for high-risk behavioral health conditions in low-income populations
- Experience with network transformation initiatives grounded in recovery/resilience principles
- Strong critical thinking and analytical problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage, motivate, and mentor more junior level staff
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong mathematical skills; command of Excel a plus
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment with a proven track record in leading large, complex projects
- Ability to work independently and on a team
Our deep knowledge bank, with winning strategies, creative ideas, tested innovation and industry recognized guidelines are why clients choose Mercer. This is our foundation, but our people bring everything to life, sharing their experience and knowledge to improve every outcome. Employees choose Mercer for career growth, as well as the opportunity to assist clients in providing efficient and innovative ways to deliver vital health care services. Projects include helping clients navigate the Affordable Care Act, program design for innovative models of health care, analyzing health care costs and trends, and assessing quality incentives and strategies to improve overall managed care program effectiveness. Mercer's stimulating and learning filled environment helps build strong relationships with colleagues and our clients.
Mercer is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V.
Mercer is a global consulting leader in talent, health, retirement, and investments. Mercer helps clients around the world advance the health, wealth, and performance of their most vital asset - their people. Mercer's more than 22,000 employees are based in more than 40 countries, and we operate in more than 130 countries. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), a global team of professional services companies offering clients advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy, and human capital.
Built on a history of industry leadership that began more than 70 years ago, Mercer helps organizations leverage the power of their people to achieve peak company performance. We work with clients today on current business issues: meeting the challenges of globalization, responding to emerging skill shortages and driving top-line revenue growth. We design strategies that link executive compensation to business goals, manage escalating benefit and pension costs while preserving employee engagement, and deliver on the expectations sought in mergers and acquisitions by successfully integrating diverse workforces. Working with chief executives and HR leaders, our consultants help leverage our clients' greatest resource - their employees.
Mercer GHSC is a specialty practice within Mercer's Health business. Mercer's Health business has the world's largest and most influential benefits brokerage and consulting capabilities. We strategize with clients of all sizes and industries to find benefits solutions that fit their needs. We provide the optimal combination of local-market knowledge and nationally driven best practices. Our innovations translate into superior benefits for clients and distinguish Mercer in the marketplace.
Mercer is in a unique position to help our clients achieve the extraordinary - and extraordinary results require extraordinary people. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about ideas, love solving problems and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the career opportunities available through Mercer. Our competitive programs, entrepreneurial spirit and team-oriented culture offer a richly rewarding and exciting environment where you can excel and achieve your professional goals.
To learn more about Mercer, visit us at www.mercer.com
See Inside the Office of Marsh & McLennan Companies
Marsh & McLennan Companies are four organizations—Marsh, Mercer, Guy Carpenter, and Oliver Wyman—that share a purpose of helping clients meet challenges and seize opportunities. As a unique professional services firm, Marsh & McLennan Companies boasts a global network of 60,000 experts in risk strategy, helping complex organizations manage risks and make the most of their opportunities, their capital, and their people.
Back to top