Senior Goverment Actuarial Consultant- Virtual Opportunity
POSITION: Senior Government Actuarial Consultant
Mercer's Government Human Services Consulting (GHSC) practice focuses on the unique and challenging needs of the public health care sector, providing a wide array of consulting services to local, state, and federal government agencies across the country. GHSC helps clients achieve better outcomes, develop and deploy defensible strategies, and reshape the delivery of health care. We deliver an individualized focus, powered by industry-leading experience, integrated capabilities and passionate people. GHSC has been partnering with states and other stakeholder organizations for over 34 years to face the demands and pace of change with data-driven pricing, clinically-informed policy and trusted, reliable strategies to manage and deliver care.
To accomplish these challenging and exciting tasks, GHSC brings together a team of highly-skilled and dedicated consultants, clinicians, actuaries, analysts, accountants and pharmacists across four offices in Phoenix, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Washington DC.
To learn more about Mercer's GHSC practice, please visit www.mercer-government.mercer.com .
The Senior Government Consultant will lead the accurate and timely data and financial analysis on large and complex state Medicaid health and welfare capitation projects. A significant part of this role is also to be a key leader or contributor for projects. Additional responsibilities include new and expanded business development, management and mentorship of junior staff and intellectual capital development. Level of support depends on the size of client as well as complexity and revenue of the account. At this level the senior consultant may work in conjunction with the senior client leader or on own as the owner of large client projects. This position allows for full-time telecommuting from any US location.
To fulfill this role, the Senior Government Consultant can expect to:
- Work with the Senior Client Manager to manage the client, project, budget, resources, timelines, scope and expectations
- Manage the day-to-day relationship with the key members of the client team; individually or in conjunction with the Senior Client Leader, presents on project results to clients, Medicaid managed care entities and other related entities
- Responsible for the day-to-day project management of the GHSC projects related to state Medicaid government-sponsored health and welfare programs
- Work with the Senior Client Manager to initiate the project after a project is sold to the client. This includes meeting with the client and clearly defining the scope, timelines and deliverable of the project. Also develops and proposes essential project documents, including the budget and work plans
- Manage multiple project sub teams, ensuring the team is within budget, on time and producing work products consistent with the scope of work and ensuring communication with client, project team and senior client leader
- Identify and secure resources, ensuring work is leveraged to the right skill and career level, and providing team members the opportunity to develop skills and expertise; coordinate tasks with specialists on the project team, keeping the client leader informed on the project, ensuring regular team meetings and maintaining project documents; may produce documents stating project results, including reports, charts, analyses, etc.
- Project manage tasks on large client deliverables; work with peers who are specialists to coordinate the specialist's contribution to the project
- Manage data and financial analytical work on large and complex state Medicaid managed health care capitation projects. These capitation projects are commissioned by state government entities to determine the rates that they will pay for health and welfare services covered by their plans
- Work with the client to define the scope of the project; serve as expert on rate structure and methodology; ensure the project is consistent with federal regulations and actuarial standards; determine the appropriate data sources for the specific project's data analysis
- Manage data and financial analytical work and provide guidance in developing the data model for the project
- Develop the rate setting assumptions that are built into the data model and informs client and project team on impact of data assumptions; oversee data analysis that is conducted by junior staff members. Provide on-going review and guidance during the data analysis process; review data analysis results for soundness; present client with sub analyses throughout project cycle
- Collaborate with client team and project team to finalize rates; educate and consult with client on the impact of their policies on the data and rates
- Draft project communications, including rate capitation letters; act as actuarial authority that signs and certifies rate capitation letters
- Present results and analysis to clients and key stakeholders; during presentations, answers detailed and challenging questions regarding the data
- Be actively involved in the selling process with the senior client leader; drive the request for proposal (RFP) process; develop project approach and budgets; work with internal marketing team; write RFP response
- Identify opportunities for expanded revenue with existing clients; utilize knowledge of client's challenges and of the diverse expertise within GHSC to identify sales opportunities
- Stay current on Medicaid Health Policy environment; consider the implication of policy, law, political, etc. changes impact client and client's programs
- Develop intellectual capital; lead or participate in the development of tools or processes that can be leveraged for multiple clients
- This can be a virtual position
To be considered for this opportunity, we require the following qualifications and experience:
- BA/BS degree
- Minimum 10 years of Medicaid industry experience required
- Medicaid background and experience preferred
- Excellent project management and interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent project management, presentation and interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Strategic thinker
- Actuarial credentials (ASA, FSA) required
Our deep knowledge bank, with winning strategies, creative ideas, tested innovation and industry recognized guidelines are why clients choose Mercer. This is our foundation, but our people bring everything to life, sharing their experience and knowledge to improve every outcome. Employees choose Mercer for career growth, as well as the opportunity to assist clients in providing efficient and innovative ways to deliver vital health care services. Projects include helping clients navigate the Affordable Care Act, program design for innovative models of health care, analyzing health care costs and trends, and assessing quality incentives and strategies to improve overall managed care program effectiveness. Mercer's stimulating and learning filled environment helps build strong relationships with colleagues and our clients.
Mercer is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V.
Mercer is a global consulting leader in talent, health, retirement, and investments. Mercer helps clients around the world advance the health, wealth, and performance of their most vital asset - their people. Mercer's more than 22,000 employees are based in more than 40 countries, and we operate in more than 130 countries. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), a global team of professional services companies offering clients advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy, and human capital.
Built on a history of industry leadership that began more than 70 years ago, Mercer helps organizations leverage the power of their people to achieve peak company performance. We work with clients today on current business issues: meeting the challenges of globalization, responding to emerging skill shortages and driving top-line revenue growth. We design strategies that link executive compensation to business goals, manage escalating benefit and pension costs while preserving employee engagement, and deliver on the expectations sought in mergers and acquisitions by successfully integrating diverse workforces. Working with chief executives and HR leaders, our consultants help leverage our clients' greatest resource - their employees.
Mercer GHSC is a specialty practice within Mercer's Health business. Mercer's Health business has the world's largest and most influential benefits brokerage and consulting capabilities. We strategize with clients of all sizes and industries to find benefits solutions that fit their needs. We provide the optimal combination of local-market knowledge and nationally driven best practices. Our innovations translate into superior benefits for clients and distinguish Mercer in the marketplace.
Mercer is in a unique position to help our clients achieve the extraordinary - and extraordinary results require extraordinary people. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about ideas, love solving problems and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the career opportunities available through Mercer. Our competitive programs, entrepreneurial spirit and team-oriented culture offer a richly rewarding and exciting environment where you can excel and achieve your professional goals.
To learn more about Mercer, visit us at www.mercer.com
Back to top