Manage general commercial disputes and a docket of litigation and claim matters involving allegations of professional negligence in the delivery of actuarial consulting services, placement of employee health and other benefits coverage, investment management and consulting, employee benefits administration, and other human resource consulting and employee benefits related issues. Handle responses to subpoenas, information requests and regulatory inquiries. Conduct internal investigations and manage limited bankruptcy and collection matters. Team with other attorneys, compliance team members and/or business colleagues on risk management and training initiatives, regulatory inquiries, internal investigations, and compliance matters. Participate in various risk management and training initiatives.
Team with senior lawyers and compliance colleagues on large projects and matters.
Assist with responses to data breach incidents, cyberattacks and general electronic security issues.
Knowledge and demonstrated interest in ERISA, pension and other employee benefit plans, and/or retirement, investment and health care related issues preferred.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Assess the company's potential liability and legal/business risks in connection with actual or potential claims involving the company, actively negotiate resolutions of those claims and provide counsel to business colleagues and management regarding the mitigation or resolution of such professional liability and other claims.
- Supervise outside counsel, develop litigation strategy, review briefs, legal memoranda, business files, and, as needed, attend and supervise depositions, oral arguments, mediations, and trials/arbitrations.
- Independently manage claim and litigation docket, prepare periodic, concise reports to senior attorneys and management about matters on docket, developing legal trends and risks facing the company.
- Collaborate with colleagues on various Legal Department projects including those involving the identification and mitigation of risks faced by Mercer's business. Help train Mercer business colleagues in risk identification and mitigation.
- Managing responses to subpoenas, information requests and regulatory inquiries including the implementation of document preservation and collection plans.
- Stay current on legal developments and develop specific areas of expertise relevant to both issues presented by case docket and more general areas of regulatory compliance.
- Assist with responses to data breach incidents, cyberattacks and general electronic security issues.
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
Contract Review Specialist
Nancy reviews the contracts her clients either offer or receive from vendors, taking care to monitor the insurance requirements on the provided services.
Back to top