Senior Accountant - Alternative Investments
- St. Louis, MO
The Senior Account will be responsible for the finance, accounting, and operations for the assigned alternative investment funds. This position will coordinate the workflow of third party vendor's Fund Administrators, Fund Custodians, Fund Auditors/Tax Return Prepares, and other fund service providers and be responsible for resolving complex business problems and investigate inquires raised during the course of business. This position will lead accounting initiatives and projects in support of the alternative investment fund business. This position will oversee work prepared by various junior colleagues and third party vendors.
- Be the primary communication point with fund administration and finance operations groups at fund administrators and custodians.
- Oversee reconciliation of fund accounting and portfolio statements, including review of investment valuations, cash activity, operating expenses, and investor allocations
- Monitor all investment activity for fund of funds, including monitoring updates to terms of underlying fund documentation and ensure proper reconciliation by service providers and fund back-office team
- Lead the annual audit process and the preparation of financial statements for several onshore and offshore funds, working closely with the funds' administrators and auditor
- Lead the annual tax filing process and issuance of statements K1s for several onshore partnership funds, working closely with tax preparers
- Serve as a technical subject matter expert on issues and new developments related to the portfolios and industry, particularly those accounting-related topics
- Use analytical skills to identify to analyze liquidity and cash needs
- Monitor compliance with fund line of credit covenants
- Approve and coordinate payment of product based expenses
- Assist client auditors with investment product requirements and data delivery based on needs
- Responsible for overall understanding of various regulations and their implication for Alternative Investments accounting and operations
- Review revenue and AUM calculations and reporting for alternative investments funds
- CPA required
- Prior experience at a Big Four firm preferred
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance or equivalent experience with outstanding academic credentials
- 5-7 years of experience with finance or private investment funds strongly preferred
- Strong technical knowledge of fund accounting, multiple fund structures (master/feeder, class/series, side pockets, SPVs), and complex financial instruments
- Private fund vendor experience; transfer agent, custodian, fund accounting, client services, etc.
- Project management with independent problem solving skills
- Working Knowledge of FASB/IRS rules as they apply to alternative investment funds
- High proficiency in Excel
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask, manage multiple priorities and work in a rapidly changing and dynamic environment
- High-level attention to detail and an understanding of its application to the bigger picture
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today . Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Back to top