Principal - Financial Services
- New York, NY
THE ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Experienced professionals bring us the know-how to make lasting change for our clients and our company. We are not typical 'management' consultants. We provide industry- and discipline-specific knowledge and expertise, which amplifies our impact and helps us shape the future for our clients. Oliver Wyman is a diverse, entrepreneurial, non-competitive partnership of individuals who like to pursue new opportunities or build a unique franchise doing what they do best in a collegial, fun environment.
Our Principals are day-to-day leaders of complex client projects, working closely with Partners to manage client relationships, commercial processes and teams of consultants and specialists. They bring our projects in on time, always striving to exceed the project's goals. Their deep experience in certain business- and subject-areas helps them to become trusted advisors to our clients and go-to subject matter experts in the team.
As a Principal you will:
- Understand how to deploy best practice, your own (and your team's) expertise and the firm's wider technical competencies to deliver successful projects.
- Know how to guide and influence thinking for your clients and teams.
- Work towards being an Oliver Wyman Partner of the future by identifying opportunities and building business for the firm, contributing to thought leadership and maintaining expert-level knowledge in your areas of expertise.
YOUR ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
As our Partners of the future, Principals represent the near next generation of Oliver Wyman's leadership. As such, they require a substantial level of experience.
The ideal candidate will most likely have most of the following:
- 8 + years of experience in a relevant role, probably in a top-tier strategy consulting firm or similar organisation.
- Expert-level practice-specific knowledge of Financial Services
- A track-record of producing tangible impact for clients (eg. increasing revenue or profit).
- Experience of leading and managing teams to deliver complex work to tight deadlines.
- Deep, proven problem solving and analytical skills, and the ability to translate findings into insights, strategies and actions.
- The ability to deploy your expertise in thought leadership and other intellectual capital efforts to bolster business development efforts.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with a readiness to present your team's work to senior executives at top-tier clients.
- The ability (and willingness) to travel for client engagements.
- Know how to take the initiative, seeking out opportunities to learn new skills and put the ones you've already got to good use.
- Are not just intelligent, but creative too: ready to come up with novel ideas to solve our clients' biggest problems.
- A willingness to work fluidly and respectfully with our incredibly talented team.
OUR VALUES & CULTURE
We're serious about making OW a rewarding, progressive, enjoyable and balanced place to work.
- Self starters and free thinkers who work well in a team
We are individuals who are self starting, motivated, energetic, and entrepreneurial about what we do.
- Common aspiration, collective endeavour, shared success
We have the common aspiration to have an impact, leave a legacy and change the world. We have no interest in running a steady-state business. We want to build, grow and shape the environment around us.
- Straightforward, open, respectful interaction
We value an environment where every member of Oliver Wyman is encouraged and expected to voice his or her opinion.
- Opportunity without artificial barriers, anti-Kudzu
We value merit and believe that to create a true meritocracy we need to remove artificial barriers to opportunity.
- Balanced lives
W e value people whose lives balance work and non-work activities because we believe they are both more interesting colleagues and are able to make better contributions to the Firm. We push ourselves hard to deliver excellence, but we also work to extract the maximum benefit from the flexibility of a project-based business. We provide the ability to take career breaks for personal or family reasons. We fundamentally value each other's time, and are sensitive to how it is used. We are an output not input-based culture, have respect f or people's personal decisions, and believe that one's workload must be sustainable. We seek balance for ourselves and our colleagues.
Back to top