Human Resources Manager
Howalt+McDowell Insurance, A Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC company has deep roots and a long record of accomplishment in the Upper Midwest. We're a risk prevention organization dedicated to providing measurable results for our clients. More than just insurance brokers, we believe that a business culture that supports a healthy, safe work environment does so by offering the right benefits, programs, policies and opportunities to keep employees engaged and productive.
Responsible for overall HR function for the agency including but not limited to staffing, recruitment, employee relations, performance management/development, training, benefit administration, and compliance with all applicable state and federally mandated employment laws. Execute HR objectives in alignment with overall business strategies and objectives.
- Work closely with management to recruit qualified applicants for open positions using appropriate resources and screen incoming candidates.
- Manage interview process and communication to candidates, ensuring a consistent and positive candidate experience.
- Administer screening procedures and create appropriate offers for selected candidate. Ensure consistent onboarding experience for new employees.
- Create, maintain and update job descriptions.
- Maintain fair and competitive compensation programs, including salary structure. Participate in appropriate compensation surveys.
- Develop and implement consistent and effective employee communications.
- Proactively work with managers and employees to address employee issues.
- Coach managers on employee relations and performance issues, investigate employee complaints and provide guidance to management on appropriate resolution.
- Develop/review/create policies and practices for organizational consistency and legal compliance.
- Maintain employee personnel files, benefit files and other record keeping while maintaining compliance with state and federal law.
- Serve as administrator on employee benefit plans, acting as liaison between the company, carriers, and employees. Coordinate annual open enrollment process.
- Process life and disability claims; work comp claims; unemployment claims; extended leave requests; FMLA.
- Direct the Culture Club, Community Focus Committee (including United Way and Children's Miracle Network campaigns) and the Wellness team.
- Ensure corporate compliance with all applicable employment laws and practices.
- Serve as HR liaison to Marsh & McLennan Agency.
- Develop or outsource employee and management training programs to support organizational objectives, including compliance with state and federal laws.
- Facilitate agency succession planning review.
- Work with managers to develop, communication, and execute employee career paths.
- Administer time and attendance system.
- Provide HR guidance and support to the Executive Management Team.
- Provide backup support to payroll.
- Read, practice and live the Code of Conduct for the agency. Be a participant in maintaining a strong work environment and culture for team members.
- All other duties as assigned.
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
Contract Review Specialist
Nancy reviews the contracts her clients either offer or receive from vendors, taking care to monitor the insurance requirements on the provided services.
Back to top