Health Care Financial/Economic Consultant
- Minneapolis, MN
Mercer's Government Human Services Consulting (GHSC) practice focuses on the unique and challenging needs of the public health care sector, providing a wide array of consulting services to local, state, and federal government agencies across the country. GHSC helps clients achieve better outcomes, develop and deploy defensible strategies, and reshape the delivery of health care. We deliver an individualized focus, powered by industry-leading experience, integrated capabilities and passionate people. GHSC has been partnering with states and other stakeholder organizations for over 34 years to face the demands and pace of change with data-driven pricing, clinically-informed policy and trusted, reliable strategies to manage and deliver care.
To accomplish these challenging and exciting tasks, GHSC brings together a team of highly-skilled and dedicated consultants, clinicians, actuaries, analysts, accountants and pharmacists across four offices in Phoenix, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Washington DC.
To learn more about Mercer's GHSC practice, please visit www.mercer-government.mercer.com.
The Health Care Economic Consultant will lead and manage accurate and timely data and financial analysis on large and complex state managed health and welfare capitation projects. The Consultant will be the financial expert for projects and proposals, as well as the mentor for more junior financial/actuarial staff and oversee their basic work
To fulfill this role, the Health Care/Economics Consultant can expect to:
- Manage the Government division's projects related to government sponsored health and welfare programs. After a project is sold to the client, the Government Consultant works with the lead client manager to initiate the project. This includes meeting with the client and clearly defining the scope, timelines and deliverable of the project as well as develop and propose essential project documents, including the budget and work plan.
- Provide/lead detailed financial analyses and communicate the results for small- to large-scale projects.
- Ensure project team is within budget, on time and producing work consistent with the scope. Coordinate tasks with specialists on the project team, keep the client leader informed on the project, ensure regular team meetings and maintain project documents. As the project team leader, may produce documents stating project results, including reports, charts, analyses, etc.
- Provide updates to the client team, gather additional information, coordinate data requests and advise client team on interim analyses. In conjunction with the client manager, may present project results to client
- Work on multiple projects with multiple clients simultaneously. In this position, will also work with peers who are specialist to coordinate the specialist's contribution to the project
- May directly supervise junior staff members and frequently provide supervisory feedback, training and mentoring to junior staff that have a project reporting relationship with them. People management responsibilities include: assign, direct, and evaluate work; conduct performance evaluations, progressive counseling and career development discussions; ensure appropriate orientation and on-going education/training; provide critical input regarding hiring and firing employees; promotion, salary and bonus actions
- Participate in request for proposal (RFP) process. Define approach to projects, methodology of data modeling and preliminary scope of actuarial work required to complete project. Draft proposals defining suggested methodologies and estimated scope of work for RFPs
- Keep self current on Health Policy environment and considers the implication of policy, law, political, etc. changes impact client and client's programs
- Develop intellectual capital; lead or participate in the development of tools or processes that can be leveraged for multiple clients.
To be considered for this position, the following qualifications and experience are required:
- BA/BS degree
- Minimum 7 years' experience in health data analysis, pricing, actuarial concepts or health underwriting
- Experience leading teams or project teams
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills; strong command of Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Strong critical thinking and analytical problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Actuarial designation a plus, but not required
Our deep knowledge bank, with winning strategies, creative ideas, tested innovation and industry recognized guidelines are why clients choose Mercer. This is our foundation, but our people bring everything to life, sharing their experience and knowledge to improve every outcome. Employees choose Mercer for career growth, as well as the opportunity to assist clients in providing efficient and innovative ways to deliver vital health care services. Projects include helping clients navigate the Affordable Care Act, program design for innovative models of health care, analyzing health care costs and trends, and assessing quality incentives and strategies to improve overall managed care program effectiveness. Mercer's stimulating and learning filled environment helps build strong relationships with colleagues and our clients.
Mercer is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V.
Mercer GHSC is a specialty practice within Mercer's Health business. Mercer's Health business has the world's largest and most influential benefits brokerage and consulting capabilities. We strategize with clients of all sizes and industries to find benefits solutions that fit their needs. We provide the optimal combination of local-market knowledge and nationally-driven best practices. Our innovations translate into superior benefits for clients and distinguish Mercer in the marketplace.
Mercer GHSC is in a unique position to help our clients achieve the extraordinary - and extraordinary results require extraordinary people. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about ideas, love solving problems and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the career opportunities available through Mercer. Our competitive programs, entrepreneurial spirit and team-oriented culture offer a richly rewarding and exciting environment where you can excel and achieve your professional goals.
To learn more about Mercer GHSC, visit us at https://www.mercer-government.mercer.com
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC). Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Back to top