Health & Benefits Consultant
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today . Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
The purpose of this position is to provide accurate and timely data and financial analysis on various financial projects using large data sets relating to medical and dental programs.
Performs advanced financial analysis including:
- Manipulating large data sets of medical claims to select stratified sample of claims in support of Mercer's audit practice
- Analysis of large data sets of prescription drug claims using SAS to audit the accuracy of claim payments based on contractual terms and employer benefit design
- Update firm-wide pricing tools based on current book of business data
- Analyzing cost drivers by reviewing cost/utilization data and looking for year-over-year trends or comparisons to external benchmarks using data provided from external databases
- Performing analyses for larger, more complex clients, including more in-depth analysis for complex situations that may require additional research or discussion with Mercer subject matter experts
Data manipulation and review - Work directly with vendor or client to review data to ensure it is complete, accurate and reasonable; and manipulate for use in financial analyses or valuations.
- Perform a Level 1 review of the junior analyst's work
Project management & consulting
- Participate and present in calls and meetings
- Manage projects from start to finish
- Consult on and directly answer questions on analyses
- Assist with the preparation of clear and concise reader-friendly communications
- Manage the quality and timeliness of deliverables
- Delegate and review project work of more junior analysts
- Mentor more junior analysts and interns
Products, services & tools - have a proficient understanding of the following, through online training, group sessions, or one-on-one training with others in a more senior role. In addition, to assist with the delivery of internal training to more junior analysts.
- Health and Benefits products, services and technical tools offered by Mercer
- Vendor/carrier markets
- Basic underwriting and actuarial skills
- Budget-setting, rate-setting and evaluation.
- BA/BS degree
- 3 years of H&B or other related experience
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills; strong command of Excel; knowledge of SAS preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Strong critical thinking and analytical problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and on a team
Mercer delivers advice and technology-driven solutions that help organizations meet the health, wealth and career needs of a changing workforce. Mercer's more than 22,000 employees are based in 43 countries and the firm operates in over 130 countries. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), the leading global professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. With more than 60,000 colleagues and annual revenue over $13 billion, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment. Marsh & McLennan Companies is also the parent company of Marsh, which advises individual and commercial clients of all sizes on insurance broking and innovative risk management solutions; Guy Carpenter, which develops advanced risk, reinsurance and capital strategies that help clients grow profitably and pursue emerging opportunities; and Oliver Wyman, which serves as a critical strategic, economic and brand advisor to private sector and governmental clients. For more information, visit www.mercer.com. Follow Mercer on Twitter @Mercer.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity .
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
Actuarial Associate, Mercer
Jolina manages projects for Mercer’s pension plan clients—preparing instructions for teammates, reviewing deliverables, and answering questions throughout the process.
Back to top