Health and Benefits Paralegal/Compliance Specialist
Mercer is seeking a paralegal or compliance specialist who will work directly with and support employee benefit specialists on a wide range of compliance issues associated with the design and operation of health and welfare plans. The paralegal will assist with project management, plan documentation, compliance reviews and questions associated with the design and administration of both insured and self-funded health and welfare plans.
- Provides support to compliance specialists who are employee benefit attorneys
- Drafts plan documents, summary plan descriptions and employee communications
- Assists in compliance reviews focusing on DOL and IRS issues
- Drafts responses to consulting questions regarding compliance with local, state, and federal laws applicable to H&W plans
- Supports the development of staff through education and training
- Bachelor's degree or related experience
- Paralegal certification preferred
- 2+ years of experience in employee benefits, preferably with health and welfare plans
- Paralegal experience preferred but not required
- Knowledge and skills:
- Experience with health and welfare plans, including self-funded medical plans
- Experienced at organizing and managing a wide variety of legal projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Skills researching federal, state and local laws, including case law
- Exercises sound judgment and discretion with highly confidential information
- Able to work under pressure and handle multiple, changing priorities
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy
- Office and work location is San Francisco, California
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
As part of the rotation program, Tiffany is learning strategic planning—how to grow a business not just organically but also through acquisition and possible divestitures.
Back to top