Health and Benefit Consultant
The purpose of this position is to lead consulting engagements with 5,000+ life employers regarding their medical, dental, life and disability benefit plans and programs and to negotiate with benefits carriers and vendors to secure health and welfare plan coverage for these employers. Level of support provided depends on size of client as well as complexity and revenue of the account - at this level the senior consultant is the client lead and is often the Mercer relationship manager.
- Leads complex client engagements, including managing overall service delivery, strategy, financial evaluations, plan design, renewal, business placement, benchmarking and other studies.
- Develops sophisticated benefits design and renewal strategies and drives the development of tools and solutions to address complex client issues
- Determines the full scope of services provided to the client and sets roles/responsibilities within the client team
- Effectively communicates Mercer's position on latest industry trends to clients
- Is accountable for revenue/profitability for client accounts and projects.
- Monitors success of projects in terms of scope, budget, timeliness and client satisfaction
- Uses appropriate Mercer tools (e.g., HBB) in the development and execution of client strategy
- Incorporates compliance and professional standards into all work processes, including transparency, AFG, peer review and maintaining required licensure
New Business Development
- Generates sales by expanding revenues from existing clients and by leading prospecting efforts with new clients..
- Sets strategic direction and creates demand for new products/services in the marketplace
- Leads and participates in new business opportunities with sales channel partners
- Cross-sells other Mercer and MMC products and services to clients.
- Builds market presence by leading and presenting at industry seminars and conferences
- Leads successful regional or national marketing initiatives.
- Establishes effective carrier/vendor relationships to serve clients in benefits procurement and administration (eligibility, claims, billing, plan implementation, contracts, plan changes and necessary amendments;
- Leverages Mercer's size and reputation to negotiate highly competitive rates and coverage options from carriers and vendors
- Leverages work to the most appropriate career level/grade
- Delegates effectively to provide developmental opportunities to team members
- Provides mentoring and coaching to direct reports and project team members
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
Contract Review Specialist
Nancy reviews the contracts her clients either offer or receive from vendors, taking care to monitor the insurance requirements on the provided services.
Back to top