Government Health Care Financial Consultant
- Atlanta, GA
Mercer's Government Human Services Consulting (GHSC) practice focuses on the unique and challenging needs of the public health care sector, providing a wide array of consulting services to local, state, and federal government agencies across the country. GHSC helps clients achieve better outcomes, develop and deploy defensible strategies, and reshape the delivery of health care. We deliver an individualized focus, powered by industry-leading experience, integrated capabilities and passionate people. GHSC has been partnering with states and other stakeholder organizations for over 34 years to face the demands and pace of change with data-driven pricing, clinically-informed policy and trusted, reliable strategies to manage and deliver care.
To accomplish these challenging and exciting tasks, GHSC brings together a team of highly-skilled and dedicated consultants, clinicians, actuaries, analysts, accountants and pharmacists across four offices in Phoenix, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Washington DC, as well as via numerous remote "work-from-home" locals.
To learn more about Mercer's GHSC practice, please visit www.mercer-government.mercer.com.
The Government Health Care Financial Consultant will manage teams and processes within a variety of client projects. This Consultant will provide expertise in reviewing key financial metrics, managing tasks and deadlines on behalf of our clients.
To fulfill this role, the Government Health Care Financial Consultant can expect to:
- Participate in initial meetings with the client and/or Mercer project lead to define the scope of the project.
- Provide insight and expertise on defining the data models, including knowledge of the capabilities and flexibility of different models.
- Create data model architecture, evaluate the project scope to determine if Mercer can update an existing data model or if we need to create a new data model. Define data architecture based on project scope, insight from the project lead and direction from the project's actuarial advisor. Ensure data model architecture captures the full scope of the project, adheres to actuarial best practices and is flexible enough to make future adjustments
- Oversee model updates and/or model building tasks. Provide colleagues clear direction and defined timelines. Share industry knowledge and best-practices with colleagues and provide training, as needed, to complete project tasks. Act as a staff resource, answer questions, and remove barriers as they arise
- Identify data anomalies prior to signing off on project deliverables (reports, analysis). Understand the what and the why reflected within project deliverables. Proactively react to data anomalies and exceptions on the analysis in order to explain these issues to senior staff or project lead. Think through data issues and formulate possible solutions. Communicate data anomalies with project and client team and provide insight, expertise and direction on addressing issues regarding the data anomalies
- Project manage multiple tasks on different projects simultaneously to include the following: organize project work flow and delegate project tasks to more junior staff; manage the quality and timeliness of project deliverables; ensure client deliverables are client-ready
- Create client call agendas, coordinate calls with client and project team and actively participate in client calls and meetings
- Work directly with client to clarify project scope and be a resource for the client to answer project-related questions
- Participate on interviewing teams and/or act as a mentor for more junior staff
Qualified candidates for a Government Health Care Financial Consultant position will have:
- BA/BS or equivalent experience required
- Minimum three to five years of industry experience required
- A solid foundation of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Thorough understanding of general health care concepts, government health and welfare field preferred
- Knowledge of MS Office Tools. Advanced skills in Excel. Intermediate skills in Access. Intermediate skills in PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of Visual Basic, R, SQL, or SAS.
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills. Understanding of Actuarial principles and methodologies desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Ability to partner and lead small teams to deliver project objectives
- Ability to work independently and on a team
The deep knowledge and experience of our people combined with winning strategies, creative ideas, tested innovation and industry recognized guidelines are why clients choose Mercer. This is our foundation, but our people bring everything to life, sharing their experience and knowledge to improve every outcome. Employees choose Mercer for career growth, as well as the opportunity to assist clients in providing efficient and innovative ways to deliver vital health care services. Projects include helping clients navigate the Affordable Care Act, program design for innovative models of health care, analyzing health care costs and trends, and assessing quality incentives and strategies to improve overall managed care program effectiveness. Mercer's stimulating and learning filled environment helps build strong relationships with colleagues and our clients.
Mercer GHSC is a specialty practice within Mercer's Health business. Mercer's Health business has the world's largest and most influential benefits brokerage and consulting capabilities. We strategize with clients of all sizes and industries to find benefits solutions that fit their needs. We provide the optimal combination of local-market knowledge and nationally-driven best practices. Our innovations translate into superior benefits for clients and distinguish Mercer in the marketplace.
Mercer GHSC is in a unique position to help our clients achieve the extraordinary - and extraordinary results require extraordinary people. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about ideas, love solving problems and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the career opportunities available through Mercer. Our competitive programs, entrepreneurial spirit and team-oriented culture offer a richly rewarding and exciting environment where you can excel and achieve your professional goals.
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC). Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Back to top