Government Actuarial Consultant
- Atlanta, GA
Mercer's Government Human Services Consulting (GHSC) practice focuses on the unique and challenging needs of the public health care sector, providing a wide array of consulting services to local, state, and federal government agencies across the country. GHSC helps clients achieve better outcomes, develop and deploy defensible strategies, and reshape the delivery of health care. We deliver an individualized focus, powered by industry-leading experience, integrated capabilities and passionate people. GHSC has been partnering with states and other stakeholder organizations for over 34 years to face the demands and pace of change with data-driven pricing, clinically-informed policy and trusted, reliable strategies to manage and deliver care.
To accomplish these challenging and exciting tasks, GHSC brings together a team of highly-skilled and dedicated consultants, clinicians, actuaries, analysts, accountants and pharmacists across four offices in Phoenix, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Washington DC.
To learn more about Mercer's GHSC practice, please visit www.mercer-government.mercer.com.
The Senior Government Actuarial Consultant will lead the accurate and timely data and financial analysis on large and complex state managed health and welfare capitation projects. The Senior Government Actuarial Consultant will also to be the actuarial expert for projects and proposals, as well as the mentor for more junior actuarial staff and oversee their basic actuarial work.
To fulfill this role, theActuary can expect to:
- Serve as lead or co-lead actuary on large and complex state managed health and welfare capitation projects. These capitation projects are commissioned by government entities to determine the rates that they will pay for health and welfare services covered by their plans
- In conjunction with the project leader, work with the client to define the scope of the project. Serve as expert on rate structure and methodology. Ensure consistency with federal regulations and actuarial standards. Determine the appropriate data sources for the specific project's data analysis.
- Provide actuarial oversight and guidance in developing the data model
- Develop the rate setting assumptions that are built into the data model and informs client and project team on impact of data assumptions. Oversee data analysis conducted by junior staff members. Provide on-going review and guidance during the data analysis process. Review data analysis results for actuarial soundness. Present client with sub analyses throughout project cycle.
- Collaborate with client team and project team to finalize rates. Educate client on the impact of their policies on the data and rates
- Draft project communications, including rate capitation letters. Act as actuarial authority that signs and certifies rate capitation letters
- Present results and analysis to clients and key stakeholders. During presentations, answer detailed and challenging questions regarding the data
- Serve as either an actuarial project lead or lead project manager
- Ensure project scope clearly defined, timelines clearly established, work allocated to staff members, project documents are completed and correct, keep project and client teams informed
- May direct the work of employees in a team and/or coach/mentor others
- Participate in request for proposal (RFP) process. Define approach to projects, methodology of data modeling and preliminary scope of actuarial work required to complete project. Draft proposals defining suggested methodologies and estimated scope of work for RFPs
- Stay current on Health Policy environment and consider the implication of policy, law, political, etc. changes that impact the client and their programs
- Develop intellectual capital, which may include policy discussion with others, design of new data model or tool, or research
To be considered for this opportunity, we require the following qualifications and experience:
- BA/BS degree
- Actuarial credentials (ASA or FSA, MAAA) required
- Minimum seven years of H&B or relevant actuarial experience
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills; strong command of Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Strong critical thinking and analytical problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Ability to manage, motivate, and mentor more junior level staff
Our deep knowledge bank, with winning strategies, creative ideas, tested innovation and industry recognized guidelines are why clients choose Mercer. This is our foundation, but our people bring everything to life, sharing their experience and knowledge to improve every outcome. Employees choose Mercer for career growth, as well as the opportunity to assist clients in providing efficient and innovative ways to deliver vital health care services. Projects include helping clients navigate the Affordable Care Act, program design for innovative models of health care, analyzing health care costs and trends, and assessing quality incentives and strategies to improve overall managed care program effectiveness. Mercer's stimulating and learning filled environment helps build strong relationships with colleagues and our clients.
Mercer is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V.
Mercer GHSC is a specialty practice within Mercer's Health business. Mercer's Health business has the world's largest and most influential benefits brokerage and consulting capabilities. We strategize with clients of all sizes and industries to find benefits solutions that fit their needs. We provide the optimal combination of local-market knowledge and nationally-driven best practices. Our innovations translate into superior benefits for clients and distinguish Mercer in the marketplace.
Mercer GHSC is in a unique position to help our clients achieve the extraordinary - and extraordinary results require extraordinary people. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about ideas, love solving problems and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the career opportunities available through Mercer. Our competitive programs, entrepreneurial spirit and team-oriented culture offer a richly rewarding and exciting environment where you can excel and achieve your professional goals.
To learn more about Mercer GHSC, visit us at https://www.mercer-government.mercer.com
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC). Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Back to top