Defined Contributions Associate Consultant
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC). Mercer is a market leader in the provision of advice and solutions to the global DC market.
In the US market, we are a leading provider of investment consulting, plan design and record keeper benchmarking services as well as a leader in the provision of delegated (OCIO) services. Mercer has over $2.5trn in DC assets under advice and over $60bn in multi-manager DC assets under management globally. We are seeking to aggressively expand these institutional services across market segments into individually focused financial services and solutions via our financial wellness platform.
We are seeking a Junior DC consultant to support our expansion of services to our mid-market clients through delivery of DC services to the market. The purpose of this position is to provide employee education and plan implementation support for our MercerWise and Delegated Investment solutions, as well as lead small DC plan marketing and consulting to target organizations. Reporting to the DC Mid-Market Business Leader, the Junior Consultant will conduct enrollment and education meetings for MercerWise clients, support external demand for DC and financial wellness opportunities; manage & grow client portfolios; and provide thought leadership, sales and consulting expertise to current and prospective client engagements.
- Conduct group employee educational training meetings for new and existing MercerWise clients.
- Participate in Mercer training to gain knowledge and effectively communicate Mercer solutions, services and retirement plan topics to employees.
- Self-research and develop knowledge and best practices for presenting retirement, investment, and financial wellness topics to employees.
- Develop full understanding of client plan design, investments, fees, and educational resources for participants.
- Flexibility in days and times for required travel and presentations to meet client needs.
- May require overnight travel.
- Oversee RFP/RFI marketing process, strategy and transition; present RFP/RFI marketing results to small plan clients;
- Project manage the quality, timeliness and budget of project based client deliverables;
- Manage, retain and grow a small plan book of business by developing long-term mutually beneficial relationships with clients and decision makers within client base;
- Coordinate client tasks and initiatives with other Mercer lines of business to ensure the client experiences a coordinated benefits solution
- Educate clients and prospects on the various approaches Mercer can offer to allow them to select a service model aligned with their needs, including plan design consulting, investment advisory services, and delegated OCIO services.
- Develop strong vendor relationships to benefit clients; meet with the plan recordkeepers, investment wholesalers and DCIO providers so we can match clients with marketplace providers;
- Develop and present work product and lead defined contribution strategy discussions with client.
- Present plan review/investment review reports to clients for advisory, and OCIO engagements;
- Oversee service strategy appropriate for client(s); utilize resources and colleague contacts across Mercer on behalf of clients; introduce resources from other Mercer lines of business as appropriate to support client strategy;
- Monitor scope, revenue/profitability, timeliness and client satisfaction of projects;
- Champion Mercer services, drive new and expanded business efforts across business unit within client base
- Ensure timely delivery and accuracy of all client work
- Ensure consistent compliance and professional standards into all business development and work processes including transparency and peer review for team/projects
- Use Mercer's "Helping Clients Succeed" business development process
- Develop business plan with clear objectives and goals, planning for medium- and long-term client and growth requirements and communicate to leadership
- Exhibit solid understanding of the DCFW scope of services and work plans relative to joint clients.
- Exhibit appropriate use of Mercer tools (such as MercerLink, WebTime, MercerForce, ScopeIt) and input data accurately and on time
- Initiate and participate in sales activity and assist other consultants and sales professionals in developing opportunities and corresponding strategy; assist in the preparation and execution of business plans
- Confirm and/or oversee accounting systems are tracking revenue accurately; forecast quarterly and annual revenue expectations for small plan clients.
- Key contributor to business development efforts to grow revenue, including multiple lines of business - client contacts, sales proposals, presentations
- Serve as the local champion for DCFW services, networking with Mercer cross line of business colleagues to identify new business opportunities, including presenting at networking sessions to demonstrate Mercer's DCFW capabilities
- Develop range of contacts in the industry, both internal and external
- Delegate effectively to operations team and analysts while encouraging motivation
- Exhibit compliance with professional standards including use of templates, peer review, and transparency.
- Champion a high performance culture to which people want to join and commit. Use a collaborative style to build trust and respect across the business
- Contribute to recruiting efforts within market and nationally; build a diverse network of internal and external candidates
- Participate in the community (e. g. through industry associations, centers of influence and internal business resource groups, etc.) in support of local branding efforts
- Take individual responsibility to learn industry, company, business tools, services and products, and competitive environment
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and ways to solve client problems and make team more efficient at local and zone level
- Well-versed in Mercer's point of view regarding latest industry trends; seeks out opportunities to deliver to marketplace
- Contribute intellectual capital for business development and client delivery; DC "champion" throughout market, client base
- Participate in seminars for clients and presents at conferences, effectively communicating Mercer's POV and thought leadership
- Contribute to ideas for new services, products, tools, and team efficiencies for increased profitability; facilitates local and market efforts to incorporate them into day-to-day work
See Inside the Office of Marsh & McLennan Companies
Marsh & McLennan Companies are four organizations—Marsh, Mercer, Guy Carpenter, and Oliver Wyman—that share a purpose of helping clients meet challenges and seize opportunities. As a unique professional services firm, Marsh & McLennan Companies boasts a global network of 60,000 experts in risk strategy, helping complex organizations manage risks and make the most of their opportunities, their capital, and their people.
Back to top