Data & Analytics Technology Leader
The purpose of this position is to shape the data and analytics vision for Mercer and its Careers, Health and Wealth businesses, designing, implementing and overseeing the execution of key technology products related to data collection, integration and insight generation.
Primary responsibilities for setting Mercer's integrated business intelligence, data strategy, and its execution across Mercer's products and technology application portfolio, in alignment with business and technology leadership. It will involve gaining deep understanding of business priorities, technology products, underlying application and current data models.
This position will report to the Mercer CIO, be a member of Mercer's Technology Leadership Team, work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders to optimize technology delivery along five dimensions - drive enterprise wide focus enabling business outcomes, technology centric - ensure we have a blueprint and our data technologies work together, a strategic architectural vision - focusing on emerging technologies and evolving business capabilities, data & analytics - data unification to power analytics & robotics and innovation - incubating and enabling new business models/value propositions. Driving data adoption best practices and deliver differentiated game changing insights for our customers and colleagues is critical.
Shaping Mercer Data & Analytic Technology Strategy
- Shape Mercer's integrated Big Data and unification strategy across businesses, partnering with the business and technology leadership, creating a distinctive competitive advantage over our competition
- Provides thought leadership and direction to evolve the business and create business value through innovative use of data and analytics. This includes bringing in new sources of data, shaping new data centric products and offerings, developing integrated insights across businesses
- Ensure that business product vision is brought to life and enhanced with compelling data and insights
- Promoting best practices and innovation regarding the use of data and information across Mercer's GBS and Mercer Services teams, leveraging the client and product expertise residing within the business
- Guiding Big data usage, Robotics and Cognitive Technology strategy, architecture and roadmap
Guiding Execution across Businesses
- Develop implementation roadmap to deliver on Line of Business (LoB) objectives, enterprise architecture, data strategy and innovation goals.
- Deliver state of the technology solutions to support collection, cleansing, integration of data for existing client products and solutions, as well as embrace new technology to further Mercer's data vision
- Guide and direct the creation of an enhanced data model to scale as business offerings expand with reference to volume, variety, velocity of data. Foster automation and self-serving while ensuring single source of truth
- Rationalize current data structures to a scalable data model with new sources, increased flexibility and ease of integration
- Shape the analytics sandbox, its management and operation, including day-to-day technology and operations of the Data and Analytics teams
- Guide Data Management practices including Preparation (sourcing, acquisition, integration, quality), Warehousing and Governance (access requests, metadata maintenance and monitoring) Shape advanced / predictive analytics and data sciences capabilities
Management and People leadership
- Evolve a traditional analytics team to an agile, advanced analytics high performing insights delivery team
- Co-Lead data and analytics technology steering committee sessions with LOB leaders and technology leaders, address escalations on business products by LOB leaders and business product managers
- Collaborate with stakeholders, product owners, development teams, finance to define / analyze investments, KPIs and provide recommendations on analytics investments to business leaders
- Establish a People strategy to align with the Data & Analytics, business and technology goals
- Champion a team culture of innovation and delivery consistent with Mercer's mission, operating imperatives, and PRIIDE values
- Lead, manage, inspire and motivate high performance for direct reports and across the organization. Attract, develop, and engage all levels of talent
- Master's degree preferred in technology discipline
- Minimum 8-10 years in Data Architecture, services and led Business Technology or Technology related business roles driving strategies
- 4-6 years in delivering data models and enterprise architecture
- Extensive experience in Hadoop/Big Data environments; Data modeling, both logical and physical, broad variety of analytical processes; data science, statistical analysis, data mining and predictive algorithms, Relational - SQL - and multidimensional - MDX - query languages. Experience executing business driven / self-service BI
- Deep knowledge of the AI/BI vendor landscape; proven ability to manage complex vendor, supplier, sub-contractor relationships
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies and/or Kanban
- Strong understanding of modern technologies and use to solve business and customer problems to deliver business value and growth - cloud, mobile OS, PaaS and IaaS
- Strong business/process analysis skills and the ability to think strategically for longer term, enterprise benefit.
- Solid business skills, business communications, analysis, business/IT business cases, driving strategic value, partnering closely with business and delivery leaders
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate internally as well as externally with remote locations, external partners and clients, and vendors.
- Extensive experience creating and delivering presentations and demonstrate a comfort influencing high level executives
- Ability to lead change by effectively building commitment and winning support for initiatives.
- Ability to conceptualize a project and create a vision, and lead others and follow-through on projects to completion
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively as a team-oriented leader, able to work independently but also lead cross-functionally.
- Must demonstrate strong active listening, attention to detail and follow-up skills, planning, prioritizing, organization, analytical and customer/employee relations skills in the performance of all essential job functions
- Ability to work well under pressure, juggle tasks and work efficiently against deadlines - thrive in a dynamic environment
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today . Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity .
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
Contract Review Specialist
Nancy reviews the contracts her clients either offer or receive from vendors, taking care to monitor the insurance requirements on the provided services.
Back to top