Chief Compliance Officer, US Investments
The Chief Compliance Officer, US Investments, serves as the compliance leader for Mercer's Investments business in the US, supported by a team of 7 full-time compliance professionals and reporting directly to Mercer's Global Chief Investments Counsel.
The Chief Compliance Officer is primarily responsible for managing the compliance program of Mercer's investments business in the US, which includes the following affiliated entities:
- Mercer Investments LLC, an SEC-registered investment adviser and CFTC-registered commodity pool operator and commodity trading advisor;
- Mercer Funds, an open-ended investment company registered under the Investment Company Act of 1940, as amended; and
- Mercer Trust Company, a New Hampshire limited purpose trust company, which serves as trustee for collective and group investment trusts in which Mercer clients may invest.
The Chief Compliance Officer will be expected to:
- Supervise the compliance staff and manage the compliance programs of the Mercer Entities to ensure compliance with all applicable law and regulation;
- Develop, maintain and implement effective compliance policies and procedures with guidance from outside counsel and consultants as necessary;
- Monitor and test the performance of compliance policies and procedures;
- Develop and distribute compliance training to new colleagues upon joining Mercer, to existing colleagues at least annually and to all colleagues on special topics as warranted;
- Work closely with Mercer's senior leadership, consulting and sales professionals, portfolio management and operations professionals, and other colleagues to meet the requirements of a growing business while adhering to ethical and regulatory standards;
- Prepare board reports and regulatory filings;
- Monitor, analyze and implement federal and state legal/regulatory developments that affect Mercer's investments business in the United States;
- Perform an annual assessment of each compliance program of the Mercer Entities, and revise and update the programs to address risks and issues identified;
- Conduct due diligence on current and prospective sub-advisers, including meeting with managers and legal /compliance personnel;
- Represent Compliance in meetings with Mercer's current and prospective clients; and
- In cooperation with Mercer's other global chief compliance officers for the Investments businesses, coordinate the design and implementation of globally applicable compliance procedures.
- Excellent academic credentials and College Degree, with a Legal Degree (and admission to bar) or MBA preferred
- 10-15 years of compliance, legal or related experience at a financial services firm, including at least 2 years as either a chief compliance officer or 3 years as a deputy chief compliance officer
- Prior compliance or legal experience with respect to investment management and consulting services, open-end mutual funds, private funds, collective trusts and commodity pools (exempt or non-exempt)
- Familiarity with operating platforms that use third-party asset managers and funds
- Experience managing compliance staff
- Detailed knowledge of federal securities and commodities laws and regulations, The Employee Retirement Income Security Act, and other law and regulation applicable to the Mercer Entities
- Demonstrated competence in managing regulatory examinations and responding to regulatory inquiries
Mercer delivers advice and technology-driven solutions that help organizations meet the health, wealth and career needs of a changing workforce. Mercer's more than 22,000 employees are based in 43 countries and the firm operates in over 130 countries.
Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), the leading global professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. With more than 60,000 colleagues and annual revenue over $13 billion, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment.
Marsh & McLennan Companies is also the parent company of Marsh, which advises individual and commercial clients of all sizes on insurance broking and innovative risk management solutions; Guy Carpenter, which develops advanced risk, reinsurance and capital strategies that help clients grow profitably and pursue emerging opportunities; and Oliver Wyman, which serves as a critical strategic, economic and brand advisor to private sector and governmental clients. For more information, visit www.mercer.com. Follow Mercer on Twitter @Mercer.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Back to top