Senior Global Mobility Specialist
Marriott International offers you the opportunity to find the hospitality job and career journey that’s right for you. With more than 5700 properties and 30 brands you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 110 countries across the globe. Find Your World™ at Marriott.
The International Compensation & Benefits Department is responsible for Global Mobility and specifically expatriate pay and benefit management. The Global Mobility Analyst implements, interprets and administers international assignment policies. The Analyst is responsible for the accurate calculation of all compensation and allowances including housing, cost of living, hardship, and miscellaneous allowances. They must also determine the correct deductions to withhold such as taxes, retirement, deferrals and insurance contributions.
The Sr. Global Mobility Analyst Instructs the Directors of Finance (DOFs) and/or Directors of Human Resources (DHRs) in the international offices and properties to pay each international assignee all approved compensation, allowances, less deductions. Receive from the DOF import files of locally paid items such as rent and home leave.
They consult with and assist the assignee to select eligible benefits and insurances and enroll them in applicable benefit plans.
The Sr. Global Mobility Analyst is a trained power user and system administrator for the KPMG Link expatriate management system. They manage user access, system security, data security, data interfaces to and from other systems and user training.
The Sr. Global Mobility Analyst uses KPMG Link expatriate management system to manage all data, generate assignment cost estimates and use advanced level Excel to manipulate data, to issue billing files to MBS, and to reconcile assignee compensation reports to government documents such as W2.
SCOPE/BUSINESS CONTEXT/EXPECTED CONTRIBUTIONS
- The Sr. Global Mobility Analyst is the primary global representative for all phases of global mobility activities. The Sr. Global Mobility Analyst serves as a resource to Regional and Property based HR and Finance representatives and assists in ensuring compliance with Marriott’s IAP, RTP, REP, AMP and Local Plus policies, programs and procedures. Each analyst is expected to handle all aspects of expatriate compensation and benefits for a portfolio of approximately 200 assignees.
- The Sr. Global Mobility Analyst is the KPMG system liaison and on site point of contact for the other Global Mobility Analysts.
Specific areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
Establish and maintain strong partnerships with business clients/internal customers; must be able to effectively communicate across all management levels.
A thorough understanding of the KPMG Link System and as system administrator supports the organization in many ways:
- Train and assist co-workers in the use of KPMG Link assignment management system
- Responsible for user access and system security.
- Partner with KPMG to perform system maintenance and system updates.
- Ensure system configuration and master tables are up to date.
- Load master files into KPMG Link from third parties such as foreign exchange rates, cost of living differentials and housing allowances.
- Develop and implement testing strategies for system enhancements
Using the KPMG Link assignment management system to support assignees and administer the four phases of international assignment management.
Preliminary / Planning
a. Have a thorough understanding of all costs associated with an assignment and be able to provide cost estimates through KPMG’s link system for various assignment types upon demand.
- Pending / Pre-assignment
a. Work with assignees to enroll them and their dependents in benefit plans: medical, dental, life insurance, AD&D, deferred compensation, and retirement.
b. Must have a general knowledge of US social security requirements and know when to apply for certificate of coverage to exempt social security in the host country.
- Active / during assignment,
a. Using KPMG Link, generate expatriate payroll instructions (balance sheets) for each pay period and coordinate with o property and continent office finance departments to ensure pay is processed correctly and in adherence to strict pay policy’s and year-end deadlines.
b. Responsible for tracking all aspects of each assignment and process updates and adjustments timely and accurately. This includes cost of living adjustments, foreign exchange rates, retro pay changes, tax equalization settlements, RTP quarterly updates.
c. Partner with DOF to ensure all additional compensation and benefit payment details made by properties are sent from the property to IC&B each month.
d. Must have a strong and thorough understanding of international benefit programs will be responsible for inputting and calculating benefit deductions for retirement contributions, and optional insurances, and able to generate and issue to MBS monthly benefit billing reports.
Inactive / post-assignment
Have an in-depth knowledge of the procedures to ensure a smooth transition at the conclusion of an assignment which may result from a job elimination (severance), resignation, or transfer back to home location or to another assignment.
Perform with a high degree of autonomy the following analytical tasks:
- Research and analyze changes in cost of housing in expat locations to ensure appropriate rent ceilings by level and family size. Update housing table for upload into KPMG Link and be capable of explaining changes using qualitative and quantitative rationale.
- Ability to use advanced Excel skills to manipulate data from KPMG Link supporting research of and the development of solutions for complex questions from internal management and properties.
- Research, analyze and recommend hardship premiums using various sources of material such as location evaluation reports (Mercer) and US State Department hardship differentials by location.
- Analyze changes in COLA and be able to explain reasons for variance such as foreign exchange movement, CPI differentials between home and host country.
- Partner with expatriate tax team on year end W2 processing and other tax matters.
- Resolve enquires from the field in a timely and efficient manner.
Partner with MBS, Directors of HR and Directors of Finance to ensure compliance and audit standards are met which include:
Reconcile billing reports by property from KPMG Link with MBS and resolve benefit billing disputes with MBS and properties.
Audit individual assignee compensation reports from KPMG Link to ensure balance sheets are posted, billings data is correctly transferred, import files from the field are loaded, MI share vesting files are loaded, and all compensation is correct.
Train and assist co-workers and DHR and DOF on processes and procedures as needed.
Provide support to the department by performing other duties as assigned.
Technical Skill Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Human resource and / or payroll experience within a Marriott COE, business or Payroll / Finance department.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure while delivering high service in a timely and professional manner.
- Readily critiques own behavior to acknowledge mistakes and improve future leadership performance and acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to interface and communicate with all levels of the workforce, entry level to senior management.
- Team player. Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships internally and externally.
- Strong project management skills desired.
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office, Marrpay, and PeopleSoft HRMS.
- Excellent data management and analysis skills; ability to review and analyze payroll and accounting reports
- Knowledge of KPMG Link expatriate system a plus
- Ability to do complex analysis, to interpret and explain variances to multiple levels within the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline.
- 4 years of relevant payroll accounting experience
- Web based systems administration experience required
- Expatriate assignment management a plus.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Meet Some of Marriott International's Employees
Director, Portfolio Marketing Strategy & Planning
State-to-state, Cherilyn plans and carries out the Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services Team's distinct hotel marketing initiatives—showcasing offerings and building brand presence to reach specific traveler groups across portfolios.
Back to top