Director of Learning Development - Lifestyle & Luxury
Marriott International offers you the opportunity to find the hospitality job and career journey that’s right for you. With more than 5700 properties and 30 brands you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 110 countries across the globe. Find Your World™ at Marriott.
The Director, is a key member of the Global Learning + Development (L+D) team, specifically positioned to support all lifestyle and luxury learning programs, platforms, and project initiatives with a particular focus on service and culture.
The Director is expected to demonstrate deep learning leadership expertise [gained from both academic and professional work experience] in order to lead projects using both classic and contemporary learning design strategies that meet learner and business needs. The Director will directly lead the development effort for highly visible and complex projects that require deep learning expertise in addition to introducing novel learning solutions that raise the bar for L+D. The Director is expected to be fluent with the lifecycle of learning design, the associated development processes, and various technology tools used for development. The Director assists other L+D leaders in evaluating the effectiveness of training programs and ensuring training meets the business needs and performance development objectives.
Education and Experience
- 4-year bachelor's degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hospitality, Education, or related major.
- 8+ years of related work experience in the learning + development discipline
- Experience consulting to business leaders, providing training design and development across multiple mediums (e.g., instructor-led, eLearning, video, virtual-ILT)
- Direct experience and expertise in instructional design and training development
- Fiscal responsibility for project and department budgets
- Experience in leading teams to design and develop training for a global audience
- Experience working with third-party development vendors who produce training materials under Marriott’s direction
- Graduate/post graduate degree in Instructional Design, Adult Learning, or related Education field.
- Hospitality/Lodging industry, hotel operations, continent and headquarters environments and Marketing expertise preferred with general knowledge of brands especially luxury and lifestyle brands
- Demonstrated success working in a complex, service-intensive, deadline-driven environment
- Demonstrated success in working with and influencing cross-functional work teams in a matrix organization
- Demonstrated success managing multiple projects on time and on budget within a cost recovery business environment
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and in high pressure situations
- History of consistently delivering positive business results
- History of developing others and self in the learning discipline
- History of external involvement in professional associations and learning-related organizations
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders at varying levels of management with credibility.
- Ability to be detailed oriented, while maintaining alignment with broader organization objectives.
- Comfort with complexity, ambiguity, and change.
- Possess strong content writing ability, creativity, attention to detail and excellent proofing and editing skills.
- Self-starter with self-confidence, enthusiasm, and strong customer service orientation.
- Manages time well, correctly prioritizes tasks, and is flexible.
Specific Expected Contributions
- Design, develop, and implement training strategies, programs and products for lifestyle and luxury brands with a focus on service and culture.
- Partner with L+D Performance Advisory function to assess business needs and work with business representatives/stakeholders to scope project requirements.
- Partner with L+D Performance Advisory and Delivery organizations to manage overall stakeholder relationships and to allocate resources to meet project deadlines, budget goals, and changing business and/or market needs.
- Ensure the creation of all learning solutions built by the team maintain high standards of excellence in design, instructional soundness, and meet the business needs within the project parameters (e.g., time, budget, business objectives).
- Solicit and incorporate feedback from subject matter experts and assess evaluation feedback to make appropriate changes.
- Ensure training is global and applicable across brand segment or across the portfolio.
- Directly lead the development effort on highly visible, complex projects to instill confidence among senior stakeholders in the organization, and to use the opportunities to coach and develop others on the broader L+D development team.
- Responsible for overall project management and oversight of projects (e.g., scope, time, budget).
- Partner with L+D Delivery organization to ensure successful execution/delivery of training.
- Responsible for ensuring projects are staffed appropriately using L+D instructional designers and third-party vendors best suited to produce results.
- Work with senior L+D leaders to assign projects across the team that affords stretch and personal development opportunities for professional growth.
- Plan and execute learning designs for all projects to ensure stakeholders are appropriately informed and support the learning approach proposed.
Identify long-range needs of the development team members and work with senior L+D leaders to appropriate the necessary funds and time for training, tools & technology enhancements, and internal/external involvement in professional development opportunities.
Develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders, across lifestyle and luxury brands.
- Work along with business partners to ensure training meets the needs of the individual stakeholders and audience members.
Learning & Applying Personal Expertise
- Continually enhance personal leadership skills for the effective leadership of others between L+D’s blended HQ and virtual team environment.
- Proficiency in software programs necessary for the position: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Cloud (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop) and sound awareness of eLearning development tools such as Captivate, Articulate and others.
- Scan the learning and educational technology environment (external to Marriott) to propose new tools, processes, and vendors to elevate the L+D department’s capabilities.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Meet Some of Marriott International's Employees
Director, Portfolio Marketing Strategy & Planning
State-to-state, Cherilyn plans and carries out the Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services Team's distinct hotel marketing initiatives—showcasing offerings and building brand presence to reach specific traveler groups across portfolios.
Back to top