Director, IT Infrastructure, Server & Storage Engineering
Marriott International offers you the opportunity to find the hospitality job and career journey that’s right for you. With more than 5700 properties and 30 brands you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 110 countries across the globe. Find Your World™ at Marriott.
The Director of Server & Storage Engineering will define, implement and support an effective and efficient engineering model for Marriott International through an in-sourced and outsourced model. This position is responsible for enterprise design and engineering for our Server, Storage, Virtualization and Data Protection environments and is accountable for establishing management level relationships and partnering with all Business disciplines, other Marriott International teams, outsourcing vendors and external suppliers to define enterprise and architectural standards. This position will also define and support service delivery standards, partner with the technology leads including our security team to meet service level requirements and resolve service delivery issues across the portfolio. Reporting to the VP of Infrastructure Engineering, this key position is accountable to ensure overall requirements by Marriott internal customers and peer delivery and operations groups are met.
Performance in this positon will be measured against contractual service level targets, key operational metrics based on technology standards and client satisfaction that will be reported internally and benchmarked against industry standards. In this position the candidate will Manage Server, Storage and Virtualization portfolio and provide advanced operational support for physical and virtual Intel servers to the Marriott International Enterprise.
This position will leverage standardized methods and tools, and is accountable to implement continuous improvement programs to improve services, service levels, and cost-effectiveness over time.
The Server & Storage Engineering organization is accountable for proactively identifying appropriate sourcing opportunities for enterprise server & storage platforms that will host our core infrastructure environment. This position will design the services to meet business requirements, to reduce cost, and leverage technical expertise and buying power of an outsourcing or external supplier as appropriate. In addition, this position is accountable for monitoring and determining industry trends and best practices when creating and evangelizing the adoption of advanced technologies and establishing technology and methodology standards.
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to: end-user computing services delivery, hosting services, enterprise availability, server, storage, virtualization, inclusive of security/privacy, risk management and disaster and crisis management.
Education and Experience
- 6+ years managing day-to-day workflow of the Server and Virtualization team, including staff development and enablement through mentoring/coaching activities
- 6+ years leading team members to evaluate progress, identify risks or gaps, and provide support
- 6+ years managing Server and Virtualization portfolio of hardware and software and provide services related to deployment, operational support, and patching
- Responsible for the operational stability and deployment of solutions focused on x86 technologies, virtualization platforms, and associated automation, ensuring a consistent and reliable infrastructure
- Support the Business Technology / Enterprise environments and serve as technical escalation point
- Collaborate with Infrastructure Program Management team to support deployments, refreshes, technology evaluations, or other efforts requiring cross-functional involvement
- Proactively seek areas for growth or expansion and look for operational inefficiencies
- Forecast need for hardware refreshes, create capital budget based on number of devices, and coordinate with Server Build team to create refresh plan, aiming toward cloud and virtualization when possible
- Enforce server and Operating System policies and standards created by Infrastructure Software Compliance team and verify appropriateness of new standards
- Assist support vendors with resolving complex escalations relating to outages, troubleshooting, break/fix and other incidents when needed; accountable for issue resolution
- Own the following technologies/tools and associated processes:
- Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM), VMWare, Windows Servers, LINUX OpenStack, HP SA, Hyena
- Manage multiple vendor relationships as well as monitor SLAs and vendor performance
- Approve and report metrics for monthly recovery billing with business segments and supplier services
- Review and approve invoices for services provided to Server and Virtualization team
- Assist leadership with strategic planning and roadmap development
- Graduate degree in an engineering or computer science discipline
- Issue/Bug Tracking/Wiki admin experience with and of JIRA, Python Trac, Ruby Redmine, Perl Bugzilla, PHP Mediawiki, Confluence
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Accountable for providing day-to-day leadership and management of our Automated Infrastructure and managing the effective delivery of services to the organization.
- Should understand today’s web, mobile, and application delivery platforms, keep up with the pace of technology change, and Cloud architectures.
- Fosters an environment of continuous improvement and structured processes and procedures that support a zero-fault culture.
Strategy & Planning
- Accountable for delivering enterprise technical support to meet defined service levels that are benchmarked against industry standards and metrics.
- Ensures Infrastructure Operations, Service Delivery organization’s and Security is involvement in developing enterprise architecture and strategy and preparing budgetary input for projected hardware, software, and services.
- Establishes a flexible service delivery model with defined, documented, and communicated service levels and works with the IT Controllership to develop transparent pricing models that are flexible enough to meet ongoing business requirements.
- Monitors division/unit usage/demand of services provided by either the internal organization or outsources partners to ensure that shared services actual expenditures are in line with planned spending.
- Provides management direction and assistance in performing periodic audits to ensure compliance with all service delivery and technical services identified in the Master Services Agreement.
- Tracks actual utilization of services and reporting of supplier performance in meeting business service expectations and service levels.
- Accountable for ensuring usage / demand of Technology Operations & Service Delivery actual versus planned expenditures are monitored.
- Accountable for ensuring projected resource baselines are managed, forecasted and reconciled against actual utilization of services.
- Leads the organization in support of guiding principles of Service Management Operations.
- Defines requirements, strategy, solutions, and standards for Server, Storage & Virtualization to meet business needs and adhere with enterprise architecture and security standards.
- Approves and oversees projects to implement and maintain services.
- Partners on all aspects of the technology lifecycle including requirements, product and services management, planning, procurement, installation, support and retirement in conjunction with other Infrastructure VPs, Enterprise Architecture and the business Planning teams.
- Ensures key technology management processes are effectively managed including change management, planning, governance, and architecture.
- Supports the development of and compliance with Marriott’s enterprise architecture, engineering, and design plans.
- Maintains current knowledge of computing, hosting, storage, network and data center facilities technologies, defined business value and recommends appropriate upgrades and modifications to enhance Marriott service and efficiency.
- Documents and communicates services to IT organizations, Marriott Business units, peer operations and service delivery teams as well as end users as appropriate.
- Ensures participation of appropriate technical expertise in technical requirements gathering and solution design phases of assigned projects.
- Continuously improve operations processes, develop and present best practices, technical concepts and technologies for innovative Cloud solutions. Evolving Support Model, Practices and Audit Controls to align with DevOps and Hybrid Cloud are key aspects.
Human and Financial Capital Management
- Establishes, motivates and leads a high-performance engineering and architectural team; attracts, recruits, and retains key members of the organization.
- Provides mentoring as a cornerstone of career development for all key direct reports.
- Facilitates an organization and culture that creates defined career paths and advancement opportunities throughout the organization.
- Experience managing a matrix of service providers and a globally distributed team of contractor, consultant and internal Marriott personnel.
Cultivate a High-Performing Team
- Create a compelling vision, clear direction and strategy for the team.
- Generate enthusiasm and understanding of the information security vision and how each role contributes to the achievement of that vision.
- Ensure capabilities are developed and resources are aligned to support the strategy.
- Attract, motivate, develop and retain highly skilled leaders; champion and model leadership development.
- Create and sustain a work environment that drives associate engagement and enables business success.
- Ensure appropriate processes are in place and executed to drive collaboration and alignment within the team and with the broader IT organization.
- Serve as a role model and ensure all information security leaders are visible and effective partners with IT counterparts, broader Marriott stakeholders, and service providers.
- Demonstrate extensive Operational and Support experience with strong ITIL alignment Good Practices (i.e. Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Capacity Management, Release Management, Service Level Management)
- Effectively and articulately communicate strategies, goals, and business priorities to key stakeholders
- Communicate with key stakeholders in a clear, concise, and timely manner
- Present information to others in a convincing and engaging way
- Actively listen to and manage opposing viewpoints to build alignment and support for a solution, point of view, or course of action
Effectively represent the Company and discipline to media and other public audiences
Leading Through Vision and Values
- Model, coach, and hold others accountable for leading ethically and with a high degree of integrity
- Promote the Company’s vision and values and hold others accountable for incorporating these into strategies and programs
Experience with elastically scalable, fault tolerance and other cloud architecture patterns. Working knowledge of building networks to communicate with AWS, Azure and IBM Softlayer.
- Communicate a compelling vision for change that generates commitment and action across the Company
- Model and coach leadership on managing stakeholder expectations during change
Coaches others on developing strategies that support change initiatives across the Company
Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Model and hold others accountable for contributing data‐driven suggestions, identifying strategic opportunities, and playing an active role in problem solving
- Evaluate how alternatives may impact Company outcomes, customers, and stakeholders
- Determine when to involve key stakeholders to gain alignment before making decisions impacting the Company or discipline
Make key decision, develop strategies, and advise others on implementing solutions in a reasonable amount of time
Exhibit behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; make a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values
- Set discipline strategies and hold others accountable for applying these to discipline and program initiatives
- Use data to thoroughly evaluate opportunities and coach others on focusing on those with the strongest business impact
- Communicate strategies and business cases to influence senior stakeholders and manage their expectations
- Building a Successful Team
- Set the vision for department and make sure direct reports collaborate to achieve that vision
- Create high‐performing teams that maximize results for the Company
- Hold others accountable for coaching team members on how shared goals support Company and discipline success
- Reconcile competing expectations and priorities among continent and discipline teams
Recognize achievements that support the Company and discipline
- Determine strategic business requirements and coordinate with internal and external partners to secure resources needed to complete the work
- Work toward achieving long‐range business objectives, taking into account available resources and constraints
- Relevant hands-on experience with Cloud IaaS technologies
- Good understanding of various private, public, and hybrid cloud platform, continuous integration or delivery as a service, DevOps and distributed computing
- Experience working with and designing and implementing Cisco networks along with overlaying a SDN methodology
Ability to communicate in written format, inclusive of articulating a strategic vision in the form of strategy papers and documentation.
Driving for Results
- Create an environment that encourages excellence, innovation, and strong business performance
- Partner with Continent and discipline leaders to develop strategies that align with Company directives, account for industry and market trends, and promote business success
- Establish performance standards and monitors progress
Lead discipline and/or program‐level financial critiques and audits to ensure compliance with business goals and operating budgets
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of server and virtualization services, technologies, deployment, and support
- Knowledge of scripting/automation technologies
- Knowledge of current principles, practices, protocols, and standards relating to physical and virtual server deployment, monitoring, and patching services
- Understanding of TCP/IP fundaments and related applications/protocols (i.e. DNS, HTTP, FTP, SSH, SSL)
- Ability to lead and mentor large teams effectively and efficiently
- Ability to communicate with executive and senior level management
- Ability to communicate ideas and present information to team, customers, and vendors
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff, customers and vendors
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Meet Some of Marriott International's Employees
Director, Portfolio Marketing Strategy & Planning
State-to-state, Cherilyn plans and carries out the Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services Team's distinct hotel marketing initiatives—showcasing offerings and building brand presence to reach specific traveler groups across portfolios.
Back to top