Director, IT Infrastructure Operations, Network
Marriott International offers you the opportunity to find the hospitality job and career journey that’s right for you. With more than 5700 properties and 30 brands you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 110 countries across the globe. Find Your World™ at Marriott.
The Director of Network Operations will operationally support and implement an effective and efficient operational model for Marriott International through an in-sourced and outsourced model. This position is responsible for operational support for our Network environments and is accountable for establishing management level relationships and partnering with all Business disciplines, other Marriott International teams, outsourcing vendors and external suppliers to define operational standards. This position will also define and support service delivery standards, partner with the technology leads including our engineering teams to meet service level requirements and resolve service delivery issues across the portfolio. Reporting to the VP of Infrastructure Operations & Service Delivery, this key position is accountable to ensure overall requirements by Marriott internal customers and peer delivery and operations groups are met.
Performance in this positon will be measured against contractual service level targets, key operational metrics based on technology standards and client satisfaction that will be reported internally and benchmarked against industry standards. In this position the candidate will Manage our Network portfolio and provide advanced operational support for the networks that services to the Marriott International Enterprise.
This position will leverage standardized methods and tools, and is accountable to implement continuous improvement programs to improve services, service levels, and cost-effectiveness over time.
The Network Operations organization is accountable for proactively identifying appropriate sourcing opportunities for enterprise Network platforms that will host our core internal infrastructure environment. This position will support the services that meet business requirements, to reduce cost, and leverage technical expertise and buying power of an outsourcing or external supplier as appropriate. In addition, this position is accountable for monitoring and determining industry trends and best practices when creating and evangelizing the adoption of advanced technologies and establishing technology and methodology standards.
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to: end-user computing services delivery, hosting services, enterprise availability, server, storage, virtualization, inclusive of security/privacy, risk management and disaster and crisis management.
Education and Experience
- 6+ years managing day-to-day workflow of the Network team, including staff development and enablement through mentoring/coaching activities
- 6+ years leading team members to evaluate progress, identify risks or gaps, and provide support
- 6+ years managing a Network portfolio of hardware and software and provide services related to deployment, operational support, and iOS upgrades
- Responsible for the operational stability and deployment of solutions focused on Cisco technologies, VMWare SDN platforms, and associated automation, ensuring a consistent and reliable infrastructure
- Support the Business Technology / Enterprise environments and serve as technical escalation point
- Collaborate with Infrastructure Program Management team to support deployments, refreshes, technology evaluations, or other efforts requiring cross-functional involvement
- Proactively seek areas for growth or expansion and look for operational inefficiencies
- Forecast need for hardware refreshes, create capital budget based on number of devices, and coordinate with Network Build team to create refresh plan, aiming toward networks that get us toward cloud and virtualization when possible
- Enforce Network System policies and standards created by Infrastructure Software Compliance team and verify appropriateness of new standards
- Assist support vendors with resolving complex escalations relating to outages, troubleshooting, break/fix and other incidents when needed; accountable for issue resolution
- Own the Network technologies/tools and associated processes
- Manage multiple vendor relationships as well as monitor SLAs and vendor performance
- Approve and report metrics for monthly recovery billing with business segments and supplier services
- Review and approve invoices for services provided to Network team
- Assist leadership with strategic planning and roadmap development
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or computer science discipline
- Certification in Cisco Technologies
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Accountable for providing day-to-day leadership and management of our Network Infrastructure and managing the effective delivery of services to the organization.
- Should understand today’s web, mobile, and application delivery platforms, keep up with the pace of technology change, and Cloud architectures.
- Fosters an environment of continuous improvement and structured processes and procedures that support a zero-fault culture.
Strategy & Planning
- Accountable for delivering enterprise technical support to meet defined service levels that are benchmarked against industry standards and metrics.
- Ensures Infrastructure Operations, Service Delivery organization’s and Security is involvement in developing enterprise architecture and strategy and preparing budgetary input for projected hardware, software, and services.
- Establishes a flexible service delivery model with defined, documented, and communicated service levels and works with the IT Controllership to develop transparent pricing models that are flexible enough to meet ongoing business requirements.
- Monitors division/unit usage/demand of services provided by either the internal organization or outsources partners to ensure that shared services actual expenditures are in line with planned spending.
- Provides management direction and assistance in performing periodic audits to ensure compliance with all service delivery and technical services identified in the Master Services Agreement.
- Tracks actual utilization of services and reporting of supplier performance in meeting business service expectations and service levels.
- Accountable for ensuring usage / demand of Technology Operations & Service Delivery actual versus planned expenditures are monitored.
- Accountable for ensuring projected resource baselines are managed, forecasted and reconciled against actual utilization of services.
- Leads the organization in support of guiding principles of Service Management Operations.
- Defines operational requirements, strategy, solutions, and standards for Network infrastructure to meet business needs and adhere with enterprise architecture and security standards.
- Approves and oversees projects to implement and maintain services.
- Ensures key technology management processes are effectively managed including change management, planning, governance, and architecture.
- Supports the development of and compliance with Marriott’s enterprise architecture, engineering, and design plans.
- Maintains current knowledge of network and telecommunications technologies, defined business value and recommends appropriate upgrades and modifications to enhance Marriott service and efficiency.
- Documents and communicates services to IT organizations, Marriott Business units, peer operations and service delivery teams as well as end users as appropriate.
- Ensures participation of appropriate technical expertise in technical requirements gathering and solution design phases of assigned projects.
- Continuously improve operations processes, develop and present best practices, technical concepts and technologies for innovative Network solutions, Evolving Support Model, Practices and Audit Controls.
Human and Financial Capital Management
- Establishes, motivates and leads a high-performance operational team; attracts, recruits, and retains key members of the organization.
- Provides mentoring as a cornerstone of career development for all key direct reports.
- Facilitates an organization and culture that creates defined career paths and advancement opportunities throughout the organization.
- Experience managing a matrix of service providers and a globally distributed team of contractor, consultant and internal Marriott personnel.
Cultivate a High-Performing Team
- Create a compelling vision, clear direction and strategy for the team.
- Generate enthusiasm and understanding of the information security vision and how each role contributes to the achievement of that vision.
- Ensure capabilities are developed and resources are aligned to support the strategy.
- Attract, motivate, develop and retain highly skilled leaders; champion and model leadership development.
- Create and sustain a work environment that drives associate engagement and enables business success.
- Ensure appropriate processes are in place and executed to drive collaboration and alignment within the team and with the broader IT organization.
- Serve as a role model and ensure all information security leaders are visible and effective partners with IT counterparts, broader Marriott stakeholders, and service providers.
- Demonstrate extensive Operational and Support experience with strong ITIL alignment Good Practices (i.e. Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Capacity Management, Release Management, Service Level Management)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of network technologies, deployment, and support
- Knowledge of network automation tools & technologies
- Knowledge of current principles, practices, protocols, and standards relating to network technologies deployment, monitoring, and code upgrade services
- Understanding of TCP/IP and related applications/protocols (i.e. DNS, HTTP, FTP, SSH, SSL, OSPF, BGP)
- Ability to lead and mentor large teams effectively and efficiently
- Ability to communicate with executive and senior level management
- Ability to communicate ideas and present information to team, customers, and vendors
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff, customers and vendors
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Meet Some of Marriott International's Employees
Director, Moxy Hotels
Vicki works to introduce the world to the Moxy Hotels experience. She and her Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services teammates outline the hotels' special features and benefits—and entice travelers to explore all they have to offer.
Back to top