Director, Interior Design for Marriott & JW Hotels
Marriott International offers you the opportunity to find the hospitality job and career journey that’s right for you. With more than 4400 properties and 19 brands you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 87 countries across the globe. Find Your World #8482; at Marriott.
Specific Job Summary
Design is a life love, not just a job. It is in fact the physical manifestation of our brand. Our Lifestyle and premium Brands, Marriott Hotels and JW Hotels are looking to grow our team of talented design managers. The candidate will work in a multi -disciplinary studio that includes: brand strategist, architects, interior designers, and F&B strategists. Candidates should have great creative vision and be a strategic thinker who can understand and engage with a wide variety of other disciplines and external owners/project managers.
The atmosphere is collaborative, creative, demanding and fun with opportunities for growth within the company. This is your unique opportunity to make your mark and position yourself on the leading edge of hospitality branding.
Specifically, this person provides and manages all aspects of franchised, managed and corporate interior design services for new construction, renovation and conversion projects for our Lifestyle Brands.
Specific Expected Contributions
- Be a visionary leader within the MH/JW Design Team, inspiring internal and external stakeholders to take risks in creating unique design solutions. May be called on to assist with other brands as needed.
- Support the Interior Design Quality Assurance Program for MH/JW, collaborating with the brand team to continue to evolve the Brands development through renovations, new builds and acquisitions. May be called on to assist with other brands as needed.
- Inspire internal and external designers to innovate using their creative expression in interpreting the Brand strategies to create timeless and artistic designs.
- As a part of the QA Design team provide Interior Design leadership, working closely with external design consultants to deliver fully integrated on strategy design solutions for each property.
- Working closely with the Brand VP’s to ensure a consistent brand voice across The Americas for MH & JW Brands. May be called on to assist with other brands as needed.
- Working closely with the VP of Lifestyle Brands and the Senior Director of Interior Design, become a creative force within the MH/JW QA Design teams.
- Support the Interior Design Program, with effort focused on educating, guiding and influencing customers as a hotel brand products and services.
- Support the Property Improvement Process (PIP) review process for the MH/JW brands.
- Conducts on site Property Improvement Plans (PIP) with Operations and Owners.
- Conducts and leads onsite design reviews and meetings with owners, design consultants & Operations.
- Responsible for presenting design projects to key executives.
- Partners with Brands to provide innovative and cost-effective solutions to drive the business needs of the brands in support of their strategic growth goals.
- Supports the department leader and functions as backup in their absence.
- Represents the company at the highest level as the ‘face of the hotel band’ at conferences, trade shows etc.
- Support collaborative product development, design integrity standards and lessons learned effort related to brand.
- Liaison with developers and Operations to negotiate property brand assignment.
- Continually monitors current business processes, makes recommendations and implements approved changes as required.
- Support the QA Design Team, inspiring internal and external stakeholders to take risks in creating unique design solutions as needed based on work load demands.
- Develops operating plans and workable business processes for own department in alignment with function strategy.
- Manages larger business processes and/or projects, setting priorities and measurable objectives, monitoring and reporting on the process, progress and results. Typically influences work of cross functional or extended teams.
- Responds to, solves and makes decisions on business requests that have broader department impact and/or moderate risk. Presents alternative solutions to business issues by leveraging the broader organization.
Works to enhance the organization’s capabilities through effective staffing and development of others by:
- anticipating staffing requirements by comparing business needs with strengths and weaknesses of existing staff.
- coaching own team to collaborate with others.
- using appropriate Marriott interviewing tools to hire the best people available from inside or outside.
- establishing goals and delegating tasks appropriately.
- providing timely coaching and feedback
- making and rewarding distinctions in performance.
- engaging in progressive disciplinary processes, when appropriate.
Assists more senior associates in achieving business results by:
- acting in a consultative fashion to implement programs impacting the broader organization.
- assisting in the development and communication of broader organizational goals.
- achieving results against budget within scope of responsibility.
- taking calculated risks to move the department or team forward.
- developing and using systems to organize and keep track of information.
- balancing the interests of own group with the interests of the organization.
- working with others to identify and remove barriers to success.
Readily critiques own behavior to acknowledge mistakes and improve future leadership performance and acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Performs other duties as appropriate.
Specific Candidate Profile
- 4-year degree from an accredited interior design program
- Minimum 12 years design experience including hospitality industry
- NCIDQ certificate preferred
- Professional association membership preferred
- Strong innovative design skills
- Expert written & verbal communications skills
- Ability to create and inspire a team environment
- Excellent business acumen
- Knowledgeable about innovation & trends both in & outside of industry
- Complex problem solving & creative solution skills
- Excellent organizational skills & ability to manage multiple priorities & resources
- Skilled negotiator
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Back to top