Assistant Manager Accounting
Marriott International offers you the opportunity to find the hospitality job and career journey that’s right for you. With more than 5700 properties and 30 brands you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 110 countries across the globe. Find Your World™ at Marriott.
The Assistant Manager will play an integral role in the calculation, recording, and analysis of MI’s revenues for international managed hotels. This position will assist in all aspects of fee income validation in accordance with management contracts, US GAAP, and Marriott accounting policies, including documentation and collaboration with hotel Directors of Finance and Regional Offices. In addition, support will be provided to enable Global Finance Centers of Expertise and Continent Finance Business Partners to accomplish business objectives.
BUSINESS CONTEXT/EXPECTED CONTRIBUTIONS
Accounting & Analytics:
- Execute monthly close process to ensure results are reflected accurately for MI’s fees, investments, obligations and reserves in accordance with the management contracts, royalty agreements, other legal documents, and US GAAP. Perform analytical review of revenue results and research unusual variances.
- Support and execute on fee planning activities to ensure fee projections accurately reflect contractual estimates and MI’s income. Support the preparation of the fee calculation for the long range plan, business plan, budget, and forecast processes.
- Research and document unique accounting treatments, coordinating with Centers of Expertise, Finance Business Partners, and regional points of contact.
- Track and reconcile deferred fees in compliance with contractual provisions. Ensure tracking is complete and represents all current and potential deferred fees. Obtain catch-up balances from properties and recognize fees when appropriate.
- Participate in maintaining standard processes to ensure accurate and timely recognition of Marriott fee income in a multi-currency, multi-entity environment according to US GAAP.
- Assist with audit related questions and schedules.
- Support balance sheet account reconciliations on a monthly basis, ensure balances are accurate and reconciliations contain proper support for balances. Partner with AHS and manager to ensure completeness and accuracy of account reconciliations.
Contract Compliance, Governance & Global Partnerships:
- Review and understand management (and related) agreements to ensure compliance with contractual requirements for revenue related items, including standard and complex deal arrangements.
- Develop knowledge and expertise in contractual revenue requirements for properties within the growing Marriott International portfolio.
- Ensure compliance with executed agreements on an individual property and / or pooled portfolio basis. Ensure accuracy of revenues in accordance with contracts, US GAAP, and Corporate policies.
- Partner with continent finance teams on specific aspects in management and royalty agreements including, contract management, cash waterfalls, revenue recognition, and fee deferrals.
- Establish strong working relationships with the various disciplines and regional offices.
- Focus on providing excellent customer service to both internal and external stakeholders to Marriott.
Fee Database Maintenance and Special Projects:
- Ensure the fee database is in accordance with key terms, definitions, calculations and fee ramps to facilitate ongoing accurate reporting and analysis, focusing on assigned properties to ensure consistent and accurate fee calculations.
- Translate contract terms into formulas utilized by Excel based models and database calculations.
- Participate and support Global Finance initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- 5+ years of relevant experience, managerial experience a plus
- Exposure to management and franchise contracts and/or legal agreements
- Lodging / hospitality industry experience strongly preferred
Education or Certification
- B.S. Degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline preferred
- CPA preferred
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong technical accounting skills; understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and related controls.
- Strong financial acumen with proven analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications; good working knowledge of Access and Excel a strong plus.
- Ability to translate complex contract provisions into Excel based formulas.
- Previous PeopleSoft experience preferred.
- Broad understanding of accounting and the correlation of operating Financial Statements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively resolve complex financial calculations/issues.
- Strong organizational skills and effectiveness in prioritizing and managing multiple priorities.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy while maintaining the “big” picture at the same time.
- Able to work independently.
- Effectively work in a team environment.
- Ability to embrace continuous process improvement.
- Ability to influence others and function effectively in a collaborative work environment.
- Motivated team player.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a “win-win” negotiating style.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Meet Some of Marriott International's Employees
Director, Portfolio Marketing Strategy & Planning
State-to-state, Cherilyn plans and carries out the Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services Team's distinct hotel marketing initiatives—showcasing offerings and building brand presence to reach specific traveler groups across portfolios.
Back to top