Architectural Design Manager
Marriott International offers you the opportunity to find the hospitality job and career journey that’s right for you. With more than 4400 properties and 19 brands you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 87 countries across the globe. Find Your World™ at Marriott.
Specific Job Summary
Provides design quality assurance and design management services on new build and conversion projects-- including managed, franchised, and company-owned hotels, to ensure brand compliance and operational acceptability.
Specific Expected Contributions
- Represents department to both external and internal clients and builds positive and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Provides technical reviews of drawings and other submittals for franchised or managed projects to ensure conformance with brand design standards.
- Provide conceptual design studies, sketch plans, and criteria/facilities programs for projects as required.
- Applies design talent to problem solving design exercises to achieve cost efficient results that align with the brand standards and the brand strategy.
- Communicates and coordinates with internal disciplines to ensure the integration of relevant input in project reviews.
- Coordinates review/approval (with participation from appropriate disciplines) of variances from brand standards requested by owners due to specific project circumstances.
- Provides information, interpretation, and guidance to outside owners and their consultants, as well as internal design and construction staff, for adapting brand standards to specific projects.
- Leads conversion scope site visits and prepares Property Improvement Plans (PIPs).
- Maintains and updates project review templates and quality control checklists.
- Prepares recommendations for design changes to address customer satisfaction data, operational concerns, brand initiatives, and development strategies.
- Supervises, directs, motivates, and trains assigned staff and outside consultants as necessary.
- Tracks and maintains project data and milestones utilizing a database tool.
- Assists Design Strategies team in the maintenance and development of brand prototype documentation.
- Maintains clear communication with all department management levels and advises/consults on sensitive owner or project issues.
- Assists with quantity take-offs and FF&E bills of materials to support the procurement process
- Potential Travel: US / Canada – 25% travel is anticipated for this position
- Manages time allocation on projects in accordance with specific project budgets, deadlines, and/or direction established by Senior Management.
- Reports to Senior Managers / Directors for policy guidance, methods, and systems support matters. Supports Senior Managers / Directors in monitoring, reviewing, and expediting drawing submittals.
Specific Candidate Profile
- 4-year undergraduate degree in Architecture or related design discipline from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of 6-8 years of progressive experience in architectural design at a design firm for large commercial or hospitality projects.
- A minimum of 6-8 years of experience in the preparation and coordination of architectural construction documents and coordination of consultants.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills / excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well in a high volume, fast-paced environment as a member of a collaborative team
- Good architectural design skills, technical and project management skills.
- Good business judgment and creative problem solving attributes.
- Strong conceptual design/freehand sketching and/or digital presentation abilities.
- Computer skills: electronic mark-up software, word processing, spreadsheet, database, CAD.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Back to top