Architect - IT Infrastructure, Network Engineering
Marriott International offers you the opportunity to find the hospitality job and career journey that’s right for you. With more than 5700 properties and 30 brands you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 110 countries across the globe. Find Your World™ at Marriott.
The Network Engineering Architect will define, implement and support an effective and efficient engineering model for Marriott International through an in-sourced and outsourced model. This position defines the enterprise design and engineering for the core and property systems network and is accountable for establishing technical relationships and partnering with all Business disciplines, other Marriott International teams, outsourcing vendors and external suppliers to define enterprise and architectural standards. This position will also define and support service delivery standards, partner with the VP of Infrastructure Operations and Service Delivery to meet service level requirements and resolve service delivery issues across the portfolio. Reporting to the VP of Technology Infrastructure Operations & Engineering, this key leadership position is accountable to ensure overall requirements by Marriott internal customers and peer delivery and operations groups are met.
Performance in this positon will be measured against contractual service level targets, key operational metrics based on technology standards and client satisfaction that will be reported internally and benchmarked against industry standards. This position will leverage standardized methods and tools, and is accountable to implement continuous improvement programs to improve services, service levels, and cost-effectiveness over time.
The Network Services organization is accountable for proactively identifying appropriate sourcing opportunities for enterprise Network technologies and Cloud Network services to meet business requirements, to reduce cost, and leverage technical expertise and buying power of an outsourcing or external supplier as appropriate. In addition, this key leadership position is accountable for monitoring and determining industry trends and best practices when creating and evangelizing the adoption of advanced technologies and establishing technology and methodology standards.
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to: end-user computing services delivery, hosting services, enterprise availability, server, storage, network, voice, telecommunications, inclusive of security/privacy, risk management and disaster and crisis management.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or related technical field.
• 10 years’ experience in Information Technology (IT) architecture.
• 10 years’ as a technology leader influencing the technology decisions at the enterprise level
• Exceptional technical knowledge in Cisco Networking (emphasis on spine & Leaf designs and ACI), Load Balancing, Firewalls, security design (Intrution dection and prevention), DNS, NTP, Network Tools & Management
• Experience in developing and implementing strategic IT technologies and related processes, procedures, and decision support.
• Experience with business requirements gathering/analysis.
• Excellent technical knowledge of current infrastructure systems and standards.
• Experience in varied technologies (e.g. telecommunications, client server architecture, eCommerce infrastructures, enterprise and workgroup server platforms, Web applications, etc.)
• Experience in project definition and management.
• Experience in developing technology roadmaps and strategies.
• Experience with communicating technology issues and strategies to non-technical stakeholders
• Strong knowledge of the best available tools, software, applications, and systems for attaining best-in-class IT technology across the enterprise.
• Experience in core enterprise applications, application development tools.
• Knowledge of system evaluation principles and practices.
• Project planning and management experience.
• Excellent understanding of change management and testing requirements, techniques, and tools.
• Ability to create constructive relationships, influence, and communicate (to project team, IT management, and non-technical staff).
• Ability to lead complex, cross-functional problem-solving initiatives.
• Experience in researching emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products.
• Experienced in designing and implementing enterprise Voice Technology systems, inclusive of IP, TDM, Media Gateways, SIP and SSB
• Defining RTO and RPO service level agreements
• Previous integration and acquisitions experience highly preferred.
• ITIL v3 Enterprise experience.
• Strong negotiating, influencing and problem resolution skills.
• Proven ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Knowledge of business environment, service requirements and hospitality culture.
• Experience developing complex global distributed infrastructure solutions residing within multiple country borders.
• Demonstrated ability to assess customer/client needs, creatively approach solutions, decide and influence appropriate courses of action.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
• Accountable for providing technical direction of the Network Infrastructure and managing the effective delivery of those services to the organization.
• Establishes technical level relationships and partnering with all Business disciplines and other MI teams to define IT enterprise network and Voice services, meet service level requirements and serve as an escalation point to resolve service delivery and operational issues.
• Should understand today’s web, mobile, and application delivery platforms, keep up with the pace of technology change, and Cloud architectures.
• Fosters an environment of continuous improvement and structured processes and procedures that support a zero-fault culture.
• Define and Implement an Operational Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) strategy for all Network Infrastructure areas.
Strategy & Planning
• Actively engages with VP of Technology Infrastructure Operations & Engineering in the creation of long-term strategic plan for operational support
• Accountable for delivering enterprise network technical support to meet defined service levels that are benchmarked against industry standards and metrics.
• Ensures Infrastructure Operations and Service Delivery organization’s involvement in developing enterprise architecture and strategy for projected hardware, software, and services.
• Establishes a flexible service delivery model with defined, documented, and communicated service levels.
• Provides management direction and assistance in performing periodic audits to ensure compliance with all service delivery and technical services identified in the Master Services Agreement.
• Ensures key network, voice and telecommunications technology management processes are effectively managed including: governance, operations, planning, and change management.
• Defines requirements, strategy, solutions, and standards for Network Infrastructure to meet business needs and adhere with enterprise architecture and security standards.
• Partners on all aspects of the technology lifecycle including requirements, product and services management, planning, procurement, installation, support and retirement in conjunction with other Infrastructure VPs, Enterprise Architecture and the business Planning teams.
• Ensures key technology management processes are effectively managed including change management, planning, governance, and architecture.
• Supports the development of and compliance with Marriott’s enterprise architecture, engineering, and design plans.
• Monitors and provides input to security parameters for all Network Technology.
• Maintains current knowledge of computing, hosting, storage, network and data center facilities technologies, defined business value and recommends appropriate upgrades and modifications to enhance Marriott service and efficiency.
• Documents and communicates services to IT organizations, Marriott Business units, peer operations and service delivery teams as well as end users as appropriate.
• Ensures participation of appropriate technical expertise in technical requirements gathering and solution design phases of assigned projects.
• Continuously improve operations processes, develop and present best practices, technical concepts and technologies for innovative Network Cloud solutions. Evolving Support Model, Practices and Audit Controls to align with DevOps and Hybrid Cloud are key aspects.
• Ownership of the Network and voice portions of Lifecycle Management Platform (CLM) from an engineering aspect. This includes, but is not limited to - bug fixes, version upgrades, version updates, end-user support of Network IaaS systems, incident resolution, and understanding of the VxRack matrix upgrades.
• Responsible for maintaining and executing the network connectivity resiliency as it relates to Cloud Lifecycle Management (CLM) and IaaS platforms.
Human and Technical Management
• Provides mentoring as a cornerstone of career development for all associates in the engineering and operational areas.
• Experienced in influencial technical decision in a matrix of service providers and a globally distributed team of over 500 suppliers, contractor, consultant and internal Marriott personnel.
• Create a compelling vision, clear technical direction and strategy in the network discipline.
• Generate enthusiasm and understanding of the information security vision and how each role contributes to the achievement of that vision.
• Serve as a role model and ensure all network and information security leaders are visible and effective partners with IT counterparts, broader Marriott stakeholders, and service providers.
• Demonstrate extensive Operational and Support experience with strong ITIL alignment Good Practices (i.e. Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Capacity Management, Release Management, Service Level Management)
o Effectively and articulately communicate strategies, goals, and business priorities to key stakeholders
o Communicate with key stakeholders in a clear, concise, and timely manner
o Present information to others in a convincing and engaging way
o Actively listen to and manage opposing viewpoints to build alignment and support for a solution, point of view, or course of action
o Effectively represent the Company and discipline to media and other public audiences
• Leading Through Vision and Values
o Model, coach, and hold others accountable for leading ethically and with a high degree of integrity
o Promote the Company’s vision and values and hold others accountable for incorporating these into strategies and programs
o Extensive experience developing and leading a Global Network, inclusive of operating within the borders of over 101 countries.
o Experience with elastically scalable, fault tolerance and other cloud architecture patterns. Working knowledge of building networks to communicate with AWS, Azure and IBM Softlayer.
• Managing Change
o Communicate a compelling vision for change that generates commitment and action across the Company
o Model and coach leadership on managing stakeholder expectations during change
o Coaches others on developing strategies that support change initiatives across the Company
o Establish expectations for managing large‐scale network change efforts across the Company
• Problem Solving and Decision Making
o Model and hold others accountable for contributing data‐driven suggestions, identifying strategic opportunities, and playing an active role in problem solving
o Evaluate how alternatives may impact Company outcomes, customers, and stakeholders
o Determine when to involve key stakeholders to gain alignment before making decisions impacting the Company or discipline
o Make key decision, develop strategies, and advise others on implementing solutions in a reasonable amount of time
• Professional Demeanor
o Exhibit behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; make a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values
• Strategy Development
o Set discipline strategies and hold others accountable for applying these to discipline and program initiatives
o Use data to thoroughly evaluate opportunities and coach others on focusing on those with the strongest business impact
o Develop global network strategies that maximize competitive advantage, customer/stakeholder satisfaction, and profitability
o Communicate strategies and business cases to influence senior stakeholders and manage their expectations
• Strategy Execution
o Communicate ideas and strategies into an overall network strategy that aligns with the goals of the Vice President Technology Infrastructure
• Operations & Engineering
o Work toward achieving long‐range business objectives, taking into account available resources and constraints
o Experience migrating legacy networks to a service oriented, cloud optimized architecture or a spine and leaf architectural design.
o Relevant hands-on experience with Cloud IaaS technologies
o Good understanding of various private, public, and hybrid cloud platform, continuous integration or delivery as a service, DevOps and distributed computing
o Experience working with and designing and implementing Cisco networks along with overlaying a SDN methodology
o Ability to communicate in written format, inclusive of articulating a strategic vision in the form of strategy papers and documentation.
• Driving for Results
o Create an environment that encourages excellence, innovation, and strong business performance
o Partner with Continent and discipline leaders to develop strategies that align with Company directives, account for industry and market trends, and promote business success
o Establish performance standards and monitors progress
o Lead discipline and/or program‐level financial critiques and audits to ensure compliance with business goals and operating budgets
Network Service Technologies include:
o Cisco Design Methodologies
o Network Load Balancers
o QoS methodologies
o Dynamic Host Connection Protocol (DHCP)
o Network Access Control (NAC)
o Cisco Network Routers and LAN Switches
o Global Traffic Management
o Content Delivery Networks
o Network Capacity Management
o Telecom Vendor Management
o VOIP, SIP, SSB technologies and delivery methodologies
o PBX technologies
o Voicemail technologies
o Software Defined Networks (SDN)
o Software Defined Life Cycle Methodologies (SDLC)
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Meet Some of Marriott International's Employees
Director, Portfolio Marketing Strategy & Planning
State-to-state, Cherilyn plans and carries out the Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services Team's distinct hotel marketing initiatives—showcasing offerings and building brand presence to reach specific traveler groups across portfolios.
Back to top