Sr. HRBP, Tech and Product
- Oakland, CA
Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values to Connect the Customer, Find a Way, Make Simple, Take Risk and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It’s an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
We are looking for a strategically-minded, skilled professional and exceptional influencer to partner with our Product and Technology organizations. As an HRBP, you will improve our leadership capability and the Marqetan experience through leadership coaching, change management and driving adoption of our various programs. You are an integral part of the People team, reporting directly to our CPO, and will play an important role in organization development as we scale the company through an unprecedented growth phase.
As an HRBP, you’ll have the opportunity to directly influence how the Marqeta organization takes shape, fulfills our Vision and lives to our Values. You will partner with leaders as a strategic advisor across all organizational areas. Bring your deep expertise to a vibrant and evolving company - you will be instrumental in establishing organizational practices, operating guidelines, leadership approaches, and general people practices for the Marqeta of tomorrow.
- Understand the complex challenges our team faces in a dynamic, growing and evolving business. Counsel on everything from strategic organizational design and workforce planning to how to inspire teams and optimize communications across the company.
- Work with leaders across the organization to align talent solutions to business needs.
- Partner with the broader People team to identify, develop and implement effective strategies in support of our expanding workforce - leverage programs and insights from Recruiting, Learning & Growth, Workplace Experience, HR, Compensation, etc.
- Demonstrate your subject matter expertise in employment law, effective strategies, policies and best practices.
- Be a master at defining programs and associated evaluation criteria to measure success.
- Be a tenacious problem solver – quickly and expertly assessing issues, understanding root causes and form an optimal recommendation.
- Advise all leaders on talent management – identifying skill gaps, hiring needs, retention strategies, success plans and reward programs.
- Coach leaders on their own abilities and how they should best build out their teams, optimize performance and deliver a compelling professional experience for Marqetans.
- Keep up with emerging trends in HR, technology, culture, learning and general talent strategies.
- Drive adoption of our cultural programs, growth plans, and operating standards.
- Ensure compliance through partnerships with team members in centers of excellence, including compensation, learning & development, legal, and finance.
- Coach senior leaders, supporting them on their own growth and development and on the growth and development of their team.
- Work to resolve employee relations challenges with empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Consult with leaders to help them navigate through employee issues so they understand the different risks and benefits of different scenarios to make the best decision possible for the organization.
- Collaborate with colleagues on the People team to inform and develop policies, programs, and solutions.
- Analyze data to inform business decisions.
In addition to a proactive approach and solid influencing skills, we’re looking for the following experiences and skills:
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant HR experience with 5 or more years in a client-facing role. Experience partnering with a technology team a plus.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of HRBP practices including organization design, talent strategy, performance management, change management, executive relationship building, etc.
- Current and relevant knowledge of legal requirements and strong judgment around scoping and mitigating risk.
- Exceptional influencing skills and a collaborative spirit.
- A never-satisfied desire to learn and teach others. An innovator at heart.
- Advanced OD skills.
- An empathetic and inclusive approach.
- Analytical approach and skills for assessing, influencing and measuring organizational impact. Ability to draw insights from data, but also to make intuitive decisions based on imperfect data.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; an articulate and persuasive communicator who is highly effective in presentation to a group.
- BA/BS or equivalent work experience; advanced degree in human resources or related area + PHR/SPHR preferred.
- Bonus points for experience in payments and/or FinTech.
- Technical skills including Google Suite and Excel.
- Genuine comfort with and enthusiasm for the fast-paced, start-up environment and associated ambiguity at times.
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Back to top