Senior Data Engineer
Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
We are seeking an engineer interested in data problems that like working in a team environment, thrive on leveraging open source tools, and wakes up every morning thinking about how to make data use and data solutions more efficient. The Sr. Data Engineer is expected to be a problem solver for Marqeta’s growing data needs, be able to deliver on projects in a timely manner while juggling multiple priorities, and proactively ideate with the broader analytics and data team. An ability to interact and communicate with technology and business team members is crucial to meet project objectives appropriately.
- Help develop and enhance a data environment consistent with industry best practices and cutting edge approaches.
- Develop, document, maintain, and support a nimble data access solution able to both provide ready access to existing data features and incorporate new features in a timely manner.
- Work with business partners to clarify requirements when necessary to create both high-level and low-level design docs.
- Operate in a time-sensitive environment with competing deadlines, by appropriately prioritizing the short and long term paths based on an Agile development process.
- 5+ years of experience with production-level Java/Python.
- 5+ years of experience in designing and developing data modeling & mining, ETL, data warehouse, deployment and infrastructure management, and performance tuning (custom or structured ETL, preferably working directly with large data environments).
- History of designing, building and launching extremely efficient & reliable data pipelines to move data (both large and small amounts) throughout Data Warehouses.
- Experience in building large-scale, distributed systems using Java (preferred) or Python.
- Experience in developing distributed applications using Kafka, Kinesis, Airflow, and or Pub/Sub.
- Proficiency in big data technologies: Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Redshift, Snowflake.
- Experience with git, GitHub, and the pull request workflow
- Positive outlook towards work, strong work ethic, and ability to work in a team environment
Bonus points for
- Experience in Big Data frameworks (such as Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, Spark is a plus)
- Knowledge of the Payments Industry (Good Domain knowledge on Financial Services Industry)
- Previous work with NoSQL DBs such as DynamoDB, Cassandra, MongoDB, HBase
- Strong Background in Redshift SQL(PostgreSQL) and MySQL, with the ability to optimize queries for high volume environments
- Experience with Shell Scripting/Crontab
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Back to top