Senior Backend Developer
If you’re a highly-skilled, motivated Senior Backend Developer, we’ve got good news: Mango wants to hear from you! We’re looking for a savvy, talented developer with leadership chops and a passion for developing great products. Take your career to the next level and come grow alongside our dynamic, creative tech team.
As our Senior Backend Developer, you’ll steer the ship by serving as an accountable, communicative decision-maker for the tech team. Working with a multidisciplinary team, you’ll coordinate resource allocation and product timelines, assist in the discovery process with stakeholders, and provide technical direction to team members. Our ideal candidate is also an all-star communicator: you can clearly explain technical aspects to fellow developers and non-tech people alike, facilitating understanding across teams. And, of course, you have a proven track record of producing awesome code for new and existing products. We’re looking for someone who will become our go-to resource for backend tech direction and decisions, helping to shape where Mango’s lovable learning products are headed next.
Think you might be the perfect fit to join our talented tech team? We can’t wait to learn more about you!
- Be accountable for all technical decisions made within your team:
- Identifying technical requirements and barriers
- Identifying areas where non-technical individuals may not foresee issues
- Making architectural decisions based off the direction of the department
- Coordinate with Project Manager on resource allocation and product timelines:
- Ensuring project scope and resource allocation is clear
- Identifying developers that are best suited to address a task
- Facilitating the tracking of tasks throughout the team
- Facilitate the understanding of requirements and barriers
- Assisting in the discovery process with stakeholders
- Providing estimations and facilitating communication
- Working together with other team leads to address cross-team issues
- Provide technical direction to those on your team:
- Setting expectations for team members
- Identifying team composition and technical goals
- Performing quarterly technical reviewsIdentifying training opportunities for team members
- Assisting with allocating resources based on demand
- Produce high-quality code to help create new products and maintain and improve existing products:
- Assisting with product (system) architecture
- Designing and creating information architectures
- Developing great products
- Minimum 6 years of software development experience
- Advanced knowledge of web architecture, design patterns, and application development lifecycle
- Willingness to learn and work on a large Ruby-on-Rails application
- Knowledge of SQL and No-SQL database design, experience with various databases. e.g. MySQL, SQLite, Redis, CouchDB, Cassandra, and Memcached
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience mentoring team members
Mango Languages is an industry leader in providing lovable language-learning experiences to millions of users around the globe. Each day, our passionate, dynamic team is driven by our core mission to enrich lives with language and culture. Available on mobile, tablet, and web-based platforms, our software teaches real conversations (in 71 languages and counting!) and cultural background to public library patrons, students, corporate executives, government officials, and language lovers of all ages.
Meet Some of Mango Languages's Employees
Co-Founder & COO
Our program today has a heavy focus on building conversational skills, and that's very unique.
Back to top