The Quality Engineer is responsible for the technical aspects of MakerBot process and product quality. The successful candidate must be able to: drive continuous improvement of product quality, work effectively with domestic and international Contract Manufacturers and suppliers, work cross-functionally to meet company and departmental goals, and stand up under pressure to lead conflict and issue resolution.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Ensure incoming product quality from Contract Manufacturer and component suppliers meet company goals
- Evaluate manufacturing processes and equipment to ensure sufficient capability meet business goals
- Work with Contract Manufacturer to identify quality improvements and drive continuous improvement projects to completion
- Develop and report metrics relating to Contract Manufacturer KPI’s and customer quality
- Manage supplier quality related activities, including: audits, corrective actions, capability improvements and issue resolution
- Provide expertise in product and design reviews, including: FMEA’s, DFM, and DOE’s
- Provide leadership in Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing to internal and external teams
- Review and approve Engineering drawings, Engineering Change Orders, PPAP and other NPD/NPI documentation
- Utilize SPC, DOE’s, Audit/Inspection/Sampling Plans, Capability Analysis, Gauge R&R and other statistical techniques to analyze processes and make data-based decisions
- Analyze customer complaint and field failure data
- Lead investigations and failure analysis for manufacturer and field defects
- Lead cross-functional corrective action projects to drive product improvement, improve customer quality and reduce warranty costs
- Engineering degree
- 5+ years’ experience on a manufacturing team
- Experience working with a contract manufacturer
- Ability to travel (up to 30%) and obtain a Chinese Visa
- Demonstrated understanding of product development lifecycles, design change and document change control, product and process verification and validation methodologies, and manufacturing / production process control methodologies.
- Six Sigma Green Belt, Black Belt a plus
- Ability to present technical information and effectively communicate across all levels of the organization
- Proficiency in the areas of statistical principles and applications, qualitative and quantitative data analysis, and process improvement/optimization
- Experience using tools and measurement gauges such as: Calipers, CMM, Micrometers, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with APQP and its related tools
- Experience with appliance, automotive or electromechanical device manufacturing a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to stand up under pressure
- Possess the energy, passion, and enthusiasm to drive change.
- External Focus: understanding customer needs, industry trends, and the competitive landscape in the industry.
- Proficient with MS Office, statistical software (Minitab), PLM and ERP
- Familiarity with 3D printing or MakerBot
- People: We have some of the most talented, diverse, and collaborative teams in the world who love to push the boundaries of innovation.
- Products: We put 3D Printing on the map and gave the first 3D Printing keynote address at CES! We just released all-new solutions for professionals and educators, including two new 3D printers, software, new filament, and more on September 22, 2016. Read about it here.
- Office Space: From the moment you step onto the 21st floor of our office in Downtown Brooklyn - the high energy and view of multiple bridges and the Statue of Liberty - will take your breath away!
- Perks: We have great benefits, fun social events, and of course all the free snacks and ping-pong tournaments that you would expect at any cool tech company.
MakerBot, a subsidiary of Stratasys Ltd. (Nasdaq: SSYS) is a global leader in the 3D printing industry. Our mission is to advance tomorrow's innovators and institutions by empowering the professionals, educators, and students of today. Rather than solely focus on hardware, we offer connected solutions that address the wider needs of professionals and educators. These solutions provide a faster more effective way for engineers and designers to test ideas and for educators to prepare students for the jobs of tomorrow.
Founded in 2009 in Brooklyn, NY, MakerBot strives to redefine the standards for reliability and ease-of-use. Through this dedication, we have one of the largest installed bases in the industry and run Thingiverse, the largest 3D printing community in the world. We believe there's an innovator in everyone — join us.
MakerBot is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all applicants for all positions without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, status with regard public assistance, veteran status, or membership in any other legally protected class.
Back to top