Director of Quality and Manufacturing
The Director of Quality and Manufacturing is responsible for the overall MakerBot product and process quality. The successful candidate must be able to manage direct reports and resolve day to day issues while driving long-term strategic initiatives. Primary focuses are: product quality, operational quality, Contract Manufacturer management and NPI. This position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Provide leadership and direction to Engineering and Quality Engineering staff, establishing effective cross-functional team and providing resources and opportunities for professional growth.
- Co-ordinate and manage allocation of quality resources and projects supporting company wide quality initiatives.
- Develop and report comprehensive quality, production and NPI metrics to the leadership team
- Own supplier quality activities, including supplier quality performance, auditing, supplier qualification and continuous improvement projects
- Develop NPI process and define product quality requirements to meet company goals.
- Ensure compliance to all quality and regulatory requirements throughout product development and NPI lifecycle
- Lead collaborative efforts with the Product Engineering teams to define and meet product reliability goals
- Lead design reviews, DFMEA’s, safety reviews, design for manufacturability, and produce necessary documentation and protocols to ensure that all quality requirements are met and maintained.
- Maintain accountability for analysis and reporting of customer centric data, developing effective metrics and RC/CA activities to improve product quality and customer satisfaction
- Own and track response to all production line quality issues and metric shifts
- Define, assign and manage process improvement plans using a variety of Quality and Continuous Process Improvement tools, including but not limited to Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, 5S, SPC, engineering studies, DOE, and Gauge R&R.
- Manage efforts to develop essential process and product requirements and documentation in support of new product introductions
- Continuously develop and implement new quality methods and procedures, analyzing and reporting on all relevant metrics including suppliers, manufacturing and external customer quality.
- Develop and implement Corrective Action/8D process and system, successfully driving permanent resolution to product and process non-conformances
- Lean/Six Sigma Champing for internal and external teams
- Engineering degree, MS or MBA a plus
- 7+ years’ experience on a manufacturing team
- Experience working with a contract manufacturer
- Ability to travel (up to 30%) and obtain a Chinese Visa
- High level of leadership skills with a desire to cultivate leadership and performance of direct reports
- Demonstrated understanding of product development lifecycles, design change and document change control, product and process verification and validation methodologies, and manufacturing / production process control methodologies.
- Six Sigma Green Belt, Black Belt preferred
- Ability to present technical information and effectively communicate across all levels of the organization.
- Proficiency in the areas of statistical principles and applications, qualitative and quantitative data analysis, and process improvement/optimization Experience using tools and measurement gauges such as: Calipers, CMM, Micrometers, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with APQP and its related tools
- Experience with appliance, automotive or electromechanical device manufacturing a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills, hands on attitude and ability to stand up under pressure Possess the energy, passion, and enthusiasm to drive change.
- External Focus: understanding customer needs, industry trends, and the competitive landscape in the industry.
- Clear thinker: Simplifying strategy into specific actions with clear accountability, making decisions with speed & accuracy based on best available information and communicating priorities clearly & concisely.
- Demonstrated collaboration, negotiation & conflict resolution skills, ability to lead, acknowledge, develop, communicate and implement a strategy to ensure compliance.
- Proficient with MS Office, statistical software (Minitab), PLM and ERP
- Familiarity with 3D printing or MakerBot
- People: We have some of the most talented, diverse, and collaborative teams in the world who love to push the boundaries of innovation.
- Products: We put 3D Printing on the map and gave the first 3D Printing keynote address at CES! We just released all-new solutions for professionals and educators, including two new 3D printers, software, new filament, and more on September 22, 2016. Read about it here.
- Office Space: From the moment you step onto the 21st floor of our office in Downtown Brooklyn - the high energy and view of multiple bridges and the Statue of Liberty - will take your breath away!
- Perks: We have great benefits, fun social events, and of course all the free snacks and ping-pong tournaments that you would expect at any cool tech company.
MakerBot, a subsidiary of Stratasys Ltd. (Nasdaq: SSYS) is a global leader in the 3D printing industry. Our mission is to advance tomorrow's innovators and institutions by empowering the professionals, educators, and students of today. Rather than solely focus on hardware, we offer connected solutions that address the wider needs of professionals and educators. These solutions provide a faster more effective way for engineers and designers to test ideas and for educators to prepare students for the jobs of tomorrow.
Founded in 2009 in Brooklyn, NY, MakerBot strives to redefine the standards for reliability and ease-of-use. Through this dedication, we have one of the largest installed bases in the industry and run Thingiverse, the largest 3D printing community in the world. We believe there's an innovator in everyone — join us.
MakerBot is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all applicants for all positions without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, status with regard public assistance, veteran status, or membership in any other legally protected class.
Meet Some of MakerBot's Employees
Vice President of Digital Products Ecosystem
Carla oversees the division of MakerBot comprising product managers and the User Experience and User Interface Teams, defining what the software should be and do.
Back to top