Big Data Engineer
Thanks for considering a career at MakerBot. Over the last six years, MakerBot has defined a new industry: Desktop 3D Printing. Now we’re on a mission to bring 3D printing to Educators and Professional users: being creative has never been more fun!
Makerbot’s primary strategy is to place the customer at the center, rather than being product-centric. The data-warehousing, big-data initiative is fundamental to this and is supported by a small team expanding to include this Big Data Engineer.
We are looking for an experienced Big Data Engineer who will play a key role in designing, building and operating the enterprise data-warehousing, reporting and decision-making solutions.The Big Data Engineer will also work to prototype, create and document best-practices for internal reporting by maintaining the reporting infrastructure (security, backups and source control).
As Big Data Engineer, you would:
- Work in small team to maintain and develop primarily our “T+1” Redshift/Matillion data-warehouse (DWH) but also a small but growing DynamoDB operational-data store (ODS) initiative.
- Work with many departments, and external data-providers and recipients, to collect, ingest, transform and publish data from many source-systems. Ensuring the daily “refresh” quality is an important aspect of the role but also the identification of useful, new data to extend the DWH, will be valuable and appreciated.
- Source-systems include Salesforce, Sage X3 ERP, MakerBot.com, Thingiverse.com, Marketo, SimonData, Magento, Google Analytics and Mixpanel. Lookup data, product-mappings, other categorical-data will also be managed by a mix of Matillion and Google-Sheets.
- Utilize Matillion ETL tool to also load log-files filled with statistics, from our customers’ 3D-Printers themselves (IoT) as well as their desktop and mobile apps.
- Implement Tableau BI tools for reports and dashboards, to help the company become more data driven
- Work with executives, data-scientists, marketing and other departments to support initiatives that if successful will become essential to the life-blood of MakerBot and a component of the DWH.
- Some knowledge of DynamoDB will be useful to work with application developers to feed data between the DWH and applications/websites using the ODS.
- Understand and support Legacy solutions and reports while migrating to a longer-term, DWH-centered strategy
- Identify, recommend, prototype and implement any new long-term data management and reporting solutions.
As a Big Data Engineer, you should have:
- It is essential that the candidate know, and can articulate, the differences and benefits between MPP, RDBMS and NoSQL databases; between Operational and Analytical databases; between Redshift and other DWH vendor solutions; between Matillion “ELT” and other traditional “ETL” tools.
- 5+ years development experience in Data-Warehousing systems and Business-Intelligence, is required.
- Experience designing and building big data infrastructure from the ground up is a plus
- Proven success in working in an agile, fast-paced development environment is essential
- Big Data Ecosystems: Redshift, Matillion, DynamoDB, Tableau, Python (esp. Boto3)
- As well as possessing a certain level of DBA and Operational DWH experience, the candidate must articulate a level of pride in (a) well written and operating Python and SQL, (b) in automation of the complex, and (c) bringing joy and excitement to end-users.
Industry experience counts too!
- Familiarity with 3D printing with MakerBot or competitors’ products, as well as CAD software
- People: We have some of the most talented, diverse, and collaborative teams in the world who love to push the boundaries of innovation.
- Products: We put 3D Printing on the map and gave the first 3D Printing keynote address at CES! We just released two new product on September 20th, 2016 - the Replicator+ and Mini+. Read about it here: https://3dprint.com/149947/makerbot-edu-professional/
- Office Space: From the moment you step onto the 21st floor of our office in Downtown Brooklyn - the high energy and view of multiple bridges and the Statue of Liberty - will take your breath away!
- Perks: We have great benefits, fun social events, and of course the free snacks and ping-pong tournaments are a must at any cool tech company.
MakerBot, a subsidiary of Stratasys Ltd. (Nasdaq: SSYS), is leading the Next Industrial Revolution by setting the standards in reliable and affordable desktop 3D printing. Founded in 2009, MakerBot sells desktop 3D printers to innovative and industry-leading customers worldwide, including engineers, architects, designers, educators and consumers. MakerBot has one of the largest installed bases and market shares in the desktop 3D printing industry, with more than 90,000 MakerBot Replicator 3D Printers in the world. The robust MakerBot 3D Ecosystem makes 3D printing easy and accessible for everyone. To learn more about MakerBot, visit makerbot.com.
MakerBot is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all applicants for all positions without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, status with regard public assistance, veteran status, or membership in any other legally protected class.
Back to top