Vice President, Licensing
The Vice President, Licensing oversees the management of licensee partnerships across all applicable product categories for all SUM properties, including: communicating the brand vision and marketing strategy for each property, directing the product development process and facilitating retail placement and promotions (in conjunction with the SUMCP’s Retail Development team) with the objective of driving brand awareness and licensing revenue.
Additionally, the VP of Licensing is a primary point of contact for the on-field uniform Partner and is responsible for overseeing the design and execution of all on-field product requirements with a particular focus on annual kit designs. This position also works to ensure the integration of the Partner’s merchandising initiatives across all applicable SUM departments and platforms.
- Develop the licensing section for each SUM property plan including annual and multi-year product category plans and revenue projections. Specific components include: sales and royalty projections by licensee, summaries by classification and category; and prospecting lists and objectives if applicable
- Direct the product development process across all licensees. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Communicating brand guidelines and driving creative direction for each property
- Tracking trends in the marketplace
- Conducting line reviews and
- Managing the day-to-day product approval process.
- Conduct seasonal business meetings with key licensees to review revenue performance, product assortments, retail placement and promotional plans.
- Facilitate collaboration and communication between licensees’ sales and marketing personnel and SUMCP’s Retail Development and Marketing teams to coordinate retail plans and leverage marketing efforts.
- Negotiate and manage 3rd party special event merchandising vendor.
- Develop and facilitate product assortments with applicable SUM and visiting team licensees.
- Obtain and track creative assets as needed.
- Coordinate with Retail Development team in facilitating stadium venue and concessionaire relationships.
- Strategize and execute direct-to-retail (DTR) opportunities. May only be applicable to certain properties or certain product categories.
- Attend tradeshows as appropriate to:
- Meet with and monitor existing licensees in insure SUM properties are being properly represented
- Track the competition
- Cultivate new prospects
- Plan and execute annual cross-property, cross-category licensee meeting(s) to:
- Present overall strategic property plans and updates
- Discuss consumer products specific marketing, retail development and creative direction; and
- Facilitate cross-licensee dialogue, best practices and coordination in terms of marketing and retail placement.
- Manage hiring and onboarding process by interviewing, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Accomplish team results by communicating job expectations and managing the Performance Management process:
- Plan, monitor, and review performance;
- Coach and counsel employees;
- Develop and implement department procedures and productivity standards and reinforce Company policies
- Develop personal growth opportunities for employees
- Obtain annual revenue projections by licensee. Projected by tier of distribution and major product categories. Updated semiannually for licensees with annual royalties less than $25K and quarterly for licensees with royalties greater than $25K.
- Assist in the preparation of departmental revenue budgets. Provide input to the planning of the retail development and marketing expenditure budgets as they relate to coordinating with licensee efforts
- Track marketplace trends for major product categories. Review trade and consumer publications to monitor overall consumer trends and competitive property activity.
- Oversee annual product gap analyses, competitive mapping and market evaluations by property.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Marketing
- 15+ years of experience in licensing, retail or manufacturing
- Have a sound understanding of the product development process
- Previous management experience
- Comfortable with financial evaluations and analytics
- Enthusiastic and effective presentation skills
- Ability to effectively manage cross-divisional relationships and collaborations
- Demonstrated flexibility and effectiveness when faced with changing schedules or and/or shifting priorities
- Superior organization, project management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate, both in writing and verbally
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Demonstrated decision making and problem solving skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Ability to travel as required
- Understanding of retailing systems and practices
- Fluent in other languages (ex: Spanish, French)
- Knowledge of the sport of soccer
Meet Some of Major League Soccer's Employees
Sr. Manager, Player Relations
Meghan works within the Player Relations and Competition Department, assisting all 22 clubs with roster and budget management while coordinating player-based initiatives with various partners, both domestic and international.
Back to top