Senior Director, Content Distribution
Major League Soccer’s media assets are experiencing unprecedented growth. With long-term deals secured in the US and Canada, the League is looking to expand its presence domestically and internationally via broader reach of its content.
The Senior Director, Content Distribution will be responsible for driving revenue and creating value for content distribution initiatives worldwide – driving a critical growth area for Major League Soccer.
This role will provide strategic direction for the League’s content strategy and will work cross-functionally with other departments in the organization (production, commercial, sales) to ensure distribution and revenue targets are met.
Key to the success of this role will be securing and proactively managing new distribution partners on linear, social and digital platforms.
This position will also participate in department business planning, setting long term department priorities and goals, as well as assist in the creation of plans for MLS Business Ventures.
- Drive SUM’s content distribution strategy, including mapping distribution landscape, identifying and anticipating key market trends, understanding SUM and partner priorities and goals, and developing new business opportunities
- Drive long-term business development opportunities for media partners on both traditional and non-traditional platforms
- Work closely with Business Development and Partnership Marketing teams to understand distribution needs and requirements for SUM partners
- Proactively manage agency and broadcast partner relationships
- Package, pitch, negotiate and close distribution partnerships for SUM content that maximize exposure and achieve revenue targets and expectations
- Develop network of potential distribution partners
- Oversee day-to-day relationships with content partners – existing and new
- Coordinate with internal departments to facilitate contract process and client support functions
- Monitor and track content performance with League’s performance management team
- Identify media trends and recommend new business strategies
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA and/or related advanced degree preferred
- 10-12+ years of experience
- Experience in top media and/or sports organizations with a focus on business development
- Comprehensive understanding of multiplatform digital content landscape ecosystem, trends, and opportunities
- Hands-on experience in developing content distribution strategies for all media platforms including linear, digital, international and local TV and non- traditional outlets
- Excellent, proven relationship-building, negotiation, and influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional projects
- Exceptional strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Strong industry relationships and an astute understanding of the dynamic sports landscape
- Ability to seamlessly fit into the MLS organization and culture, which is highly collaborative, hard-working, and committed
- Superior organization, project management skills and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate, both written and verbally
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Understanding of domestic and international media markets
- Knowledge of the Spanish Language a plus
- Knowledge of the sport of soccer
Meet Some of Major League Soccer's Employees
Sr. Manager, Player Relations
Meghan works within the Player Relations and Competition Department, assisting all 22 clubs with roster and budget management while coordinating player-based initiatives with various partners, both domestic and international.
Back to top