Director, Local Media
Major League Soccer consists of 23 clubs – and has announced further expansion in the coming years. Each of these clubs requires a unique media strategy and distribution platform.
Working closely with MLS leadership and Club leadership, the Director, Local Media will be responsible for the day-to-day oversight and implementation of a new strategic initiative to drive value, revenue and relevance for local clubs via their existing and new media partnerships.
- Responsible for the fundamental shift in the League’s approach to local media with an emphasis on increasing value and revenue for clubs via local media partnerships
- Lead discussions with clubs for media rights strategy planning – exploring traditional and new media distribution opportunities
- In coordination with clubs and legal, proactively manage the negotiation process for local media agreements
- Create boilerplate term sheet for local media agreements to identify potential new media partners for in-market streaming and OTT opportunities
- Work with brand marketing to develop local broadcast tune-in and promotion plans
- Assist in development and implementation of local broadcast production minimums and standards
- Track local broadcasts to monitor/enforce minimum standards
- Coordinate with internal departments to create an announcer education and training program
- Assist in process and timeline for league-wide broadcast infrastructure project
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA and/or related advanced degree preferred
- 8-10+ years of experience
- 8+ years of experience in media distribution with a sports property or media rights agency.
- Prior experience in business affairs a plus.
- Excellent account relationship and negotiation and maintenance skills
- Hands on experience in developing distribution strategies for all media platforms
- Strong understanding of international media landscape and industry relationships
- Exceptional strategic thinking and analytics skills
- Ability to lead cross functional projects and teams
- High level of commitment to quality work product and organizational ethics, integrity and compliance
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate, both written and verbally
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Demonstrated decision making and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of the Spanish Language (business proficiency)
- Knowledge of the sport of soccer
Meet Some of Major League Soccer's Employees
Sr. Manager, Player Relations
Meghan works within the Player Relations and Competition Department, assisting all 22 clubs with roster and budget management while coordinating player-based initiatives with various partners, both domestic and international.
Back to top