Backend Software Engineer
We are building the leading marketing platform for local businesses. We provide an integrated social, web, and email marketing solution designed to help merchants get more customers and keep them coming back by spreading word of mouth, extending their customer service, managing their online reputation, and leveraging our merchant network.
Founded at Stanford University, we’re headquartered in Austin and we have an office in New York City. The response we’ve seen from local businesses has been incredible. We’re the voice of more local businesses than any other company, we’re one of the fastest growing companies in the country, and we're backed by some of the best investors in the world. Across the company, we have more than 500 colleagues who care about local businesses, set high expectations for themselves, and want to be a part of something big.
For more information on our culture, check out mainstreethub.com/values.
About Main Street Hub Engineering:
The Engineering team is on a mission to build the absolute best software in the local space. We use our data and technology to effectively create and manage local business owners’ digital assets at scale. While our customers are hard at work realizing their passion and dream, our software delivers to them -
- A compelling digital experience that matches the authenticity and spirit of that local business to their consumers. We can help the consumers to find their next favorite local joint or love their current one even more.
- Data driven insights about their consumers and their business - insights they can use to compete with the giants and thrive.
- A content platform that empowers our content managers to create engaging content while having fun using the tools.
In addition to all top notch engineering talents we already have on the team, we also have the best partner in crime - a killer Product and Design team!!!
What is the opportunity?
As a Software Engineer at Main Street Hub, you will…
- Write gobs of code – we don’t know any other way to hone our craft better!
- Solve technical problems that few have solved before – no one else helps Local Businesses the way we do!
- Participate in the decision making progress – we want you to speak up!
- Take on the challenge of making what you build higher quality, faster, and more scalable.
- Have a direct impact on the company’s top line performance.
Why is it awesome?
- Your work is meaningful: helping local business owners and creating a thriving local economy = helping to make someone’s American dream come true.
- You will have a huge personal impact on your engineering team, Main Street Hub business, and most importantly, our service to local business owners.
- You will have major opportunities for growth - Main Street Hub is on the way up, creating exceptional career paths for exceptional engineering talents.
- You will be surrounded by top talent - we constantly raise the bar and all get better along the way.
- You will be challenged – we are solving a business and technical problem that no one else has solved before.
What does it take to succeed?
- Enthusiasm for local businesses and a fit with Main Street Hub values.
- Passion for data and data driven decisions.
- Strong expertise in backend development (we use Java/Scala/Python).
- Experience with Relational and NoSQL databases.
- Interest in large-scale data management (we use Spark, Airflow, Zeppelin, etc - all in AWS).
- A solid grasp on CS fundamentals and deep appreciation for the craft of software development.
- A thirst to learn, tenacity to take on hard problems, and the courage to own your responsibilities.
- An unselfish, team-first attitude.
- Great attention to detail, because details matter (if you apply, include the word “purple” somewhere in your resume or cover letter).
- Embrace and thrive in high paced, lean startup cultures – we insist on saying NO to big corporate mentality.
- Personal ambition - embrace challenges, energized by more more more, inspired by learning and growing.
- Be able to defend yourself in Nerf gun wars that break out unexpectedly, escalate definitely, fun infinitely. If you are the instigator of said war, even better.
Are there perks?
- Three weeks paid time off, plus holidays
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees, and 50% of premiums paid for dependents
- The opportunity to earn stock options
- 401(k) plan
- Brand new office in the heart of downtown Austin
- All that startup stuff - Houndstooth coffee served hot and personalized onsite, free drinks and snacks, beer on tap, ping pong tables, a Rubik’s Cube collection, Great Discounts on Gym Memberships.
See Inside the Office of Main Street Hub
Main Street Hub’s mission is to create thriving local economies. The full-service marketing platform combines social media, customer reviews, and mobile and email marketing to help local businesses get more customers—and save valuable time. The company prides itself on being the voice for local businesses and helping them succeed.
Back to top