Junior Software Engineer
Magoosh is fixing a broken test prep industry.
Why should students have to put up with exorbitant prices for boring test prep classes and books that might not even work? With Magoosh, they don’t have to. Our mission is simple: create products that give students everywhere access to enjoyable, affordable, and quality test prep. We help millions study at their own pace, on their own time regardless of location, social status, or background. Our team is driven to create the best content and study tools because we’re out to change the test prep experience for all.
Magoosh started in 2009 with four co-founders and a few computers. Today, we’re a growing team of 22 in-office employees, with products that are used all over the world in more than 180 countries. Millions have studied with us, downloaded our apps, and watched our videos. And every day, we work with thousands of students to help them get the scores they need to get into the schools they want.
If you’re a friendly, passionate, lifelong learner who’s looking to make a real difference in students’ lives, we want you to help us change the test prep world.
Check out our values here!
About the Job
We’re looking for a Junior Software Engineer who can work part-time or full-time starting in late winter/spring of 2017. This is a 3-4 month role, similar to an internship with potential for full time employment. We help millions of students around the world study and prepare for their standardized tests with our popular web and mobile apps, and more are signing up every minute.
There are a ton of features and products we want to build. Here are a few things we’re working on right now to give you an example of what to expect:
- Upgrading our web app to Rails 4 so we can provide a more stable and secure experience for students and for new engineers.
- Building a GMAT Companion app to help students track their progress and get better explanations when using the Official Guide to the GMAT
- Improving our mobile lesson app (written in React Native) adding blog posts and other content so student have more access on the go.
This position is based in the Magoosh office in Berkeley, CA with an hourly salary of $35/hour to $45/hour, depending on experience. You must be authorized to work in the US.
About Engineering at Magoosh
Our Engineering team is currently just three people, so from day one you’ll own projects and contribute directly to code running in production.
We value collaboration, positive feedback, and mentorship. We work together to write well-designed code with proper naming and clean levels of abstraction. We work at neighboring desks to share tips and advice, and we have an unlimited budget for programming books.
We ship quickly and get feedback from the students who use our platform whenever we can. We use Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Coffeescript, React Native, AWS, and pick up new tools that keep us fast and happy.
- Have software engineering experience as an intern or full-time, entry-level engineer
- Are a junior or senior pursuing a CS degree (or related field)
- Are eager to learn a variety of new frameworks and programming practices
- Have experience with back-end and/or front-end web development. This could come from a personal project or school assignment, but ideally from past work experience
Extra credit if you...
- Have Rails experience
- Have an eye for good aesthetics and user experience
- Have a passion for education!
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even you don’t meet all the requirements for the position.
To learn more about our hiring process, check out our blog post.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top