Business Operations Intern
Magoosh is fixing a broken test prep industry.
Why should students have to put up with exorbitant prices for boring test prep classes and books that might not even work? With Magoosh, they don’t have to. Our mission is simple: create products that give students everywhere access to enjoyable, affordable, and quality test prep. We help millions study at their own pace, on their own time regardless of location, social status, or background. Our team is driven to create the best content and study tools because we’re out to change the test prep experience for all.
Magoosh started in 2009 with four co-founders and a few computers. Today, our team is growing fast and our products are used all over the world in more than 180 countries. Millions have studied with us, downloaded our apps, and watched our videos. And every day, we work with thousands of students to help them get the scores they need to get into the schools they want.
If you’re a friendly, passionate, lifelong learner who’s looking to make a real difference in students’ lives, we want you to help us level the educational playing field.
About the Job
Magoosh is looking for an experienced Business Operations and Finance Intern for the Spring 2017 semester. This person will scale our financial planning and reporting processes to help continue Magoosh’s profitable growth. The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial and detail-oriented with a passion for using data and numbers to tell a story.
This role is a perfect opportunity for a current MBA student, although that is not a requirement.
This position is a part-time, temporary position based in the Magoosh office in Berkeley, CA. Here are some additional logistical details:
- We are expecting approximately 15 hours a week, but it may vary week to week depending on both company need and your schedule.
- Position starts immediately with a current target end date of May 2017.
- Pay is $35-$45 per hour, depending on experience.
- You must be authorized to work in the US.
In this position, you will…
- Recommend and implement a tool / process to facilitate internal financial reporting.
- Help develop and scale the financial analysis aspect of our quarterly planning process.
- Work with other Magooshers to develop reasonably accurate forecasts of the financial impact of major projects.
- Assist smaller accounting and reporting tasks as needed.
- Have 3-5 years of experience in accounting, FP&A, or Business Operations in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Have solid financial modeling skills and can help others build those skills.
- Can design intuitive and easy-to-use tools using Excel.
- Know SQL (you don’t have to be an expert, but you need to be comfortable pulling the data you need with limited support).
- Are comfortable making thoughtful tradeoffs between accuracy and speed (For example, you can exercise good judgment to sacrifice +/- 10% accuracy of a model in order to complete it quickly, but don’t work so quickly that the model is sloppy or incomplete.).
- Are detail oriented, but can see and explain the big picture.
- Are comfortable quantifying hard-to-quantify variables and influencing others to do the same.
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even you don’t meet all the requirements for the position.
To learn more about our hiring process, check out our blog post.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of Magoosh's Employees
Sam works to optimize Magoosh's data gathering and analytics. It's his responsibility to oversee the technical aspects of Magoosh's interactive study tools online.
Back to top