We are seeking talented, passionate, and multifaceted individuals with experience strengthening design teams and building human-centered design and innovation practices. We look for individuals who have proven business savvy to help our clients understand, envision, and execute practice development efforts. If you are curious, collaborative, confident, and always thinking about the human on the other end of a project, you might be a great fit to contracts as Mad*Pow's next Organizational Designer as part of our Design Transformation practice.
As an Organizational Designer, you will be joining a multidisciplinary team of designers and strategists who apply human-centered design approaches to align organizational, operational and cultural aspects and help teams strengthen their design practices.
We are looking for people who have expertise in human-centered design, change management, agile/lean practices, Design Ops, workshop facilitation, design coaching/training and/or behavior-based research methodologies to help evolve how teams work over time and ensure they're keeping their customer at the center of what they do.
Our POV on organizational design is that effective changes require a focus on:
- Culture & Behavior: Changing an organization effectively requires looking beyond rules, processes, and hierarchy to understand the relationships, perspectives, and motivations of team members.
- Co-creation: Efforts to change are strongest when those making the changes are also those determining which changes to make.
- Iteration & Support: Change requires persistence and adaptation. Not all efforts will work immediately; approaches will need to shift as teams learn what will be most effective for them.
This is a project-based contract position, with the possibility of full-time opportunities in the future. We will look at candidates who can commute to our Boston, MA or Portsmouth, NH offices.
Experience and Skills
QUALITIES WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- 5+ years of relevant experience with a background in business or design strategy, design leadership, or related fields
- A passion for and familiarity with best practices in organizational design methods, organizational transformation, change management, design ops, agile/lean workflow, and team development.
- Expertise in research (interviews, ethnography/observation, surveys, collaborative discovery, etc.), organizational analysis, developing strategic recommendations, transformation planning and roadmapping, executing design transformation initiatives, and navigating change.
- Ability to clearly articulate the connection from research to design & strategy decisions through storytelling and effective client presentations
- Ability to facilitate client meetings and collaborative working sessions
- Highly collaborative with strong verbal and written communication skills; proactive and not just a 'fly on the wall' in meetings and work sessions
- Keen understanding of professional services environment that focuses on providing value for clients in balance with human centered innovation
- You can dress up once in a while and meet our clients, with occasional travel (post-COVID)
- You absolutely love what you do