Software Engineer, Streaming
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
If you are passionate about building large-scale data processing systems and are motivated to make an impact in creating a robust and scalable data platform - we would love to talk to you. Data is key to how we make decisions; it’s the core of our business helping us create an exceptional transportation experience for our customers and providing insights into the effectiveness of our product & features.
More specifically, Lyft is one of a small number of companies whose core business actually moves in real-time. Our Streaming team is responsible for building and supporting the myriad real-time demands of the business. We work with Product to improve our driver and passenger experiences through real-time features. ETA, pricing, dispatch, and more - this work is at the heart of Lyft’s business and is a huge focus for the company in 2018 and 2019. If you’re interested in being at the center of Lyft’s efforts to deliver delightful experiences to our passengers and drivers, this might be the role for you.
- Work side-by-side with other senior engineers and independently drive projects from inception, specification, execution, or to launch
- Design and own the way real-time data is consumed, stored, and shared with the entirety of Lyft
- Build and operate large-scale distributed systems (Kafka, Flink, Zookeeper, etc)
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge, including Open-Source projects
- Share your knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, and evangelizing appropriate tech and engineering best practices
- 5+ years of experience in Streaming and Real-time Applications
- Experience in either streaming platforms (Flink, Spark, or similar) or distributed messaging (Kafka, Kinesis, or similar)
- Understanding of distributed systems concepts and principles (consistency and availability, liveness and safety, durability, reliability, fault-tolerance, consensus algorithms, etc)
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or another technical field, or equivalent
- Great medical , dental, and vision insurance options.
- In addition to 11 observed holidays , salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off.
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work & 20% of all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
See Inside the Office of Lyft
Lyft is a friendly, affordable ride whenever you need one. Users download the app, request a ride, and get picked up by a friendly driver—all within minutes. From the moment users hop into the car, Lyft is more than a ride. Lyft believes that transportation can bring people together and make communities better, and the company works to creates a new way to live in cities.
Back to top