Software Engineer, Prediction (Autonomy)
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
From day one, Lyft’s mission has been to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ridesharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
As part of the Autonomy Team, you will interact on a daily basis with other software engineers to tackle highly advanced AI challenges. Eventually we expect all Autonomy Team members to work on a variety of problems across the autonomy space; however, with a focus on prediction, you will model the intents, behaviors, and trajectories of agents around the autonomous vehicle. This enables the planning system to reason about the world and develop plans for situations before they occur. For this position, we are looking for a software engineer with the ability to understand autonomous vehicles in general and a strong level of expertise in robotics, classical artificial intelligence and/or machine learning.
- Estimate agent future trajectories and intents through a combination of hand-engineered, data-driven and classical AI approaches
- Build, train, and evaluate state-of-the-art ML models in offboard pipelines
- Implement real-time inference systems for agent prediction onboard the vehicle
- Build tools and infrastructure to verify and evaluate the performance of the prediction stack over time
- Work closely with developers from planning, infrastructure, localization, and perception teams to debug, fine-tune, and deploy production systems
- Excellent production programming skills in C++ and/or Python
- Strong background in artificial intelligence, robotics, and algorithms
- Ability to build models using both classical and deep-learned approaches
- Ability to develop low-latency inference systems for embedded compute platforms
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate across teams and disciplines
- Openness to new / different ideas. Ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on first principles
- (Nice to Have) Has shipped a robotics product
- (Nice to Have) 2+ years experience working in a related role
- (Nice to Have) 5+ years developing in C++ and/or python
- (Nice to Have) Apply approaches from relevant domains (computer vision, speech recognition, etc.) to the prediction problem
- (Nice to Have) Experience with pedestrian pose/gait estimation, gaze tracking, multi-agent decision process modeling, or driver intent modeling, data time series prediction
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
See Inside the Office of Lyft
Lyft is a friendly, affordable ride whenever you need one. Users download the app, request a ride, and get picked up by a friendly driver—all within minutes. From the moment users hop into the car, Lyft is more than a ride. Lyft believes that transportation can bring people together and make communities better, and the company works to creates a new way to live in cities.
Back to top