Software Engineer, Perception (Autonomy)
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
From day one, Lyft’s mission has been to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ridesharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
- Work on core perception algorithms such as object detection, tracking, segmentation, and state space estimation
- Build segmentation and classification algorithms on LiDAR point cloud data
- Implement state-of-the-art detectors and tracking for vision
- Develop sensor fusion algorithms for radar, LiDAR, and vision modalities
- Implement real-time algorithms (< 10 milliseconds) on CPU/GPU in C++
- Build tools and infrastructure to evaluate the performance of perception stack and track it over time
Experience & Skills:
- Ability to produce production-quality C++
- Strong background in mathematics, linear algebra, geometry, and probability
- Ability to build machine learning applications using a broad range of tools such as decision trees, Hidden Markov Models, deep neural networks, etc.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate across teams and disciplines
- Openness to new / different ideas. Ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on first principles
Nice to Have:
- 2+ years experience working in a related role
- 5+ years developing in C++ / Python
- Hands on experience with applying deep learning to computer vision or other sensor data
- Experience with GPU programming in CUDA
- Experience with classical computer vision techniques like structure from motion, RANSAC, Hough transformations, camera calibration, pinhole projection models, etc.
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
See Inside the Office of Lyft
Lyft is a friendly, affordable ride whenever you need one. Users download the app, request a ride, and get picked up by a friendly driver—all within minutes. From the moment users hop into the car, Lyft is more than a ride. Lyft believes that transportation can bring people together and make communities better, and the company works to creates a new way to live in cities.
Back to top