Software Engineer, Observability
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
If you are passionate about building large-scale distributed data processing systems and are motivated to make an impact in creating a robust and scalable data platform - we would love to talk to you. Data is the only way we make decisions, it’s the core of our business helping us create an extraordinary transportation experience for our customers and providing insights into the effectiveness of our product & features.
You will be a part of an Observability team that builds the data transport, collection, storage, as well as search and discovery solutions for all metrics and logs collected at Lyft. These solutions serve as eyes and ears for all of Lyft. This is a high impact, high visibility role that directly affects the experiences of all engineers at Lyft. In this position, you will shape the vision and architecture of Lyft’s next-generation Observability stack making it easy for developers to build data and metrics-driven products and features connecting millions of our drivers and passengers. You will be responsible for developing a reliable infrastructure that scales orders of magnitude, along with the company’s incredible growth.
We are a team of engineers constantly striving to create an amazing experience for our customers and ourselves, and we believe data brings everything together. We build and operate metrics, dashboards and log search tools that, in turn power the creativity and productivity at Lyft. You will be a part of an experienced engineering team and work with passionate leaders on challenging distributed systems problems. We highly regard Lyft’s core values and trust you will add positively to them in your own way.
- Design, build and operate large-scale data infrastructure systems
- Mentor and guide more junior engineers on the team
- Collaborate with engineers across other teams at Lyft on ways to improve the stack
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge, including Open-Source projects
- Share your knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, and evangelizing appropriate tech and engineering best practices
Experience & Skills:
- Deep understanding of distributed systems concepts and principles (consistency and availability, liveness and safety, durability, reliability, fault-tolerance, consensus algorithms)
- Experience bringing open source software to production at scale (ElasticSearch, Honeycomb, Spark, Kafka, etc)
- Experience designing, implementing and debugging distributed systems that run across thousands of nodes and handle significant amount of traffic
- Experience configuring, identifying performance bottlenecks
- Able to think through long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top