Software Engineer, Fleet Reliability
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
From day one, Lyft’s mission has been to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ridesharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
Keeping our fleet of autonomous vehicles (AVs) operational is key to success for our self-driving effort. AVs are extremely complex systems consisting of hundreds of hardware and software components. The Fleet Reliability team is hiring software engineers to help build the tools and systems to prevent, detect, diagnose and triage problems in our AVs to ensure they stay safely on the road as much as possible.
As an early member of a rapidly growing team, you will be able to make a large impact on the future of Lyft’s autonomous efforts. These are unchartered waters and you can help draw the map.
- Build tools to help diagnose problems in vehicles both in the field and in the shop
- Build and integrate with back-end systems to aggregate vehicle and fleet health
- Build dashboards for operators and managers to visualize vehicle and fleet health
- Invent novel ways to reliably root cause problems back to hardware or software failures
- Work with our operations team to build the right tools to make them maximally productive
- Work with our software and hardware engineers to understand how their systems work and how to diagnose problems
- Influence other teams to think of vehicle health and reliability
Experience & Skills:
- Significant C++ and/or Python programming
- Bash/Perl or other scripting language programming
- Thorough experience with Linux systems and the Unix command set
- Good understanding of Ethernet and IP networking
- Experience with observability and tracing
- Experience working close to hardware and firmware
Nice To Have:
- Experience building Continuous Integration systems
- Manual QA experience
- Databases and data science experience
- Interest in automotive technology, the CAN bus in particular
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top