Software Engineer, Data Engineering
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Here at Lyft, Data is the only way we make decisions. It is the core of our business, helping us create an transportation experience for our customers and providing insights into the effectiveness of our product launch & features.
As a Data Engineer at Lyft, you will be a part of an early stage team that builds the data transport, collection, and storage, and exposes services that make data a first-class citizen at Lyft. We are looking for a Data Engineer to build a scalable data platform. You'll have ownership of our core data pipeline that powers Lyft’s top line metrics; You will also use data expertise to help evolve data models in several components of the data stack; You will help architect, building, and launching scalable data pipelines to support Lyft’s growing data processing and analytics needs. Your efforts will allow access to business and user behavior insights, using huge amounts of Lyft data to fuel several teams such as Analytics, Data Science, Marketplace and many others.
You will report to a Data Engineering Manager.
- Owner of the core company data pipeline, responsible for scaling up data processing flow to meet the rapid data growth at Lyft
- Evolve data model and data schema based on business and engineering needs
- Implement systems tracking data quality and consistency
- Develop tools supporting self-service data pipeline management (ETL)
- SQL and MapReduce job tuning to improve data processing performance
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Experience with Hadoop (or similar) Ecosystem (MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Presto, Pig, HBase, Parquet)
- Proficient in at least one of the SQL languages (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SqlServer, Oracle)
- Good understanding of SQL Engine and able to conduct advanced performance tuning
- Strong skills in scripting language (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- 1+ years of experience with workflow management tools (Airflow, Oozie, Azkaban, UC4)
- Comfortable working directly with data analytics to bridge Lyft's business goals with data engineering
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rid
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
See Inside the Office of Lyft
Lyft is a friendly, affordable ride whenever you need one. Users download the app, request a ride, and get picked up by a friendly driver—all within minutes. From the moment users hop into the car, Lyft is more than a ride. Lyft believes that transportation can bring people together and make communities better, and the company works to creates a new way to live in cities.
Back to top