Senior Counsel, Employment & Litigation
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft is looking for a bright, energetic, and self-motivated attorney with at least 8 years of employment litigation experience. You will assist with a wide variety of labor and employment matters that are core to the company’s business and growth, and you will work extensively across functions to help craft solutions to the novel legal challenges Lyft faces every day. The successful candidate will be entrepreneurial and comfortable working in an ambiguous, quickly-changing, and sometimes chaotic environment, with a high workload.
- Responsibility — meaning, hands-on work, not just supervising outside counsel — for a wide variety of litigation and pre-litigation matters in state and federal courts and administrative forums, including matters involving worker classification questions
- Responsibility for handling unemployment claims, administrative audits, and agency charges (EEOC, DFEH, DLSE, etc.)
- Collaborate closely with fellow Legal Team members and outside counsel to develop and carry out employment litigation strategy with an eye toward impact on Lyft’s broader business objectives
- Manage outside counsel, including tactical guidance, staffing, case management, budgeting, and alignment with Lyft’s broader legal strategy
- Proactively approach all aspects of employment litigation, including pre-litigation, discovery, motion practice, witness preparation, and trial and appellate strategies
- Provide assistance and support to Lyft’s Legal Team members, and work closely with other teams, such as Human Resources, Finance, Product, and Government Relations to provide cross-functional legal advice
Experience & Skills:
- 8+ years of experience practicing in-house or at a large or mid-size law firm
- J.D. from a top-tier law school
- Member of the California bar
- Preference is given to candidates with prior in-house experience and/or experience advising gig economy clients as outside counsel
- Experience litigation in administrative forums is a plus
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities, judgment, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the workplace
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving workplace
- Ability to think quickly on your feet, convey grace under pressure, and simultaneously manage complex workloads, multiple client demands, and shifting priorities
- Be a resourceful self-starter and have a passion for results. Embody Lyft’s culture, and operate with high standards and ethics
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top