Patent Counsel, AV
At Lyft, community is who we are, it’s what we do, and it’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community, by creating an open, inclusive and diverse organization where all team members belong.
This position will help manage Lyft’s patent portfolio activities as well as support it and report to the Sr. Counsel, Patents for Level 5, our Autonomous Division. You must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment and work proactively with various teams across the organization including Legal, Product, and Engineering. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and work on cutting-edge issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
- Help manage our patent portfolio and related activities for our Autonomous group, including invention identification and harvesting, invention disclosure meetings, portfolio mining, and directing patent application preparation and prosecution by outside patent counsel.
- Work with legal, product, and engineering teams to identify and protect patentable products, services, and technologies.
- Understand Lyft’s strategic and competitive position and think at a high level about portfolio strategy.
- Train and educate product and engineering teams in intellectual property matters.
- Support patent licensing, portfolio acquisition and litigation activities as needed.
- 6+ years of patent prosecution experience in relevant area
- In-house patent portfolio building/management experience preferred
- Must be proactive, self-directed, detail oriented, organized, and have exceptional communication skills
- Strong understanding of Lyft and love of self-driving cars
- JD required
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- State bar membership
- Eligible to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- Sense of humor and comfort with shifting priorities
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top