ML / Computer Vision Engineer, Autonomous Driving - Munich
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger and the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets… how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives and with our ambition, we will become a leader in the development and operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level5, you will have the opportunity to develop and deploy tomorrow’s hardware & software solutions and thereby revolutionize transportation.
In Munich, Lyft is working on self-localization and mapping technology for Lyft’s autonomous driving effort. We provide foundational technology for safe, efficient and comfortable self driving and are at the very beginning of the dependency chain for the onboard software stack. Our job is to give our cars an understanding of the world and how it must influence its behavior.
We are building novel kinds of maps, starting with raw sensor data from devices like LIDAR, IMU, GPS, and cameras, converting them to geometric and semantic representations of the world. These maps are used to precisely localize autonomous cars in the world. The foundational class of algorithms we use is SLAM (simultaneous localization and mapping), and we push the boundary of current research in its application. We are also responsible for understanding geometry and turning it into a semantic map. For our work, we tap into the possibilities of every sensor on the car to improve our results.Responsibilities:
- Develop novel machine learning / AI models in the areas of Mapping (SLAM), Computer Vision, Geometry
- Apply state-of-the art machine learning / AI models and bring them to production quality for our self-driving cars
- Stay in touch with current research, through literature review, reading group, conference visits etc.
- Write code that can be integrated with production, and collaborate with Software Engineers to deploy to our large scale production system
- Work in an international team (occasional travel)
Experience & Skills:
- Master’s or Ph.D. in computer science, engineering, or related field, or proven accomplishments otherwise
- Up-to-date knowledge of current research in machine learning / AI / deep learning
- Fluency with ML libraries like Tensorflow, Caffe, Keras, scikit-learn, etc. and their ecosystems
- Passion for solving unstructured and non-standard mathematical problems and for learning every day
- Algorithms background, and experience writing high quality code in C++
Nice to Have:
- Experience in mapping, geometry, robotics, autonomous driving technology
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top