Industrial Design, Lead
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring. Lyft’s new Bikes & Scooters division is seeking a Principal Industrial Designer join as a founding member of our internal Industrial Design practice.
The Industrial Design, Lead is expected to have a deep knowledge of the entirety of the industrial design process from conceptualization, to refinement, to modeling, and manufacturing support. Lyft will rely on the PID to be both an expert contributor as well as a design leader, innovating and pushing the UX, Brand, and Product vision beyond the competition.
The PID practices their craft at the highest level and has the ability to juggle full design and development programs with smaller design initiatives. They should possess ample ideation and innovation skills to envision and clearly articulate the story of the next gen product line. The ideal candidate is able to work well with cross-functional teams to successfully visualize concepts and translate them into feasible solutions, balancing innovation with functional requirements and on-brand design.
The PID’s days might include conceptualizing aesthetic and functional solutions while integrating insights; leading design reviews; building physical mock-ups; working with design research specialists to produce user-centric and market-appropriate concepts; integrating the work of UI/UX colleagues; and collaborating with engineers on cost-effective and compelling solutions.
Lyft’s Bikes and Scooters team is new division and operates as a startup within the larger organization. You will be expected to roll up your sleeves and hustle. We are moving fast, innovating, and operating with ambiguity. You should be self motivated and flexible to lend a hand as new obstacles arise.Skills & Experience:
- 10+ years of professional experience as an Industrial Designer
- Proven track record in design excellence as reflected in awards or industry recognition
- Demonstrated design and development of products taken to market
- Broad-based experience designing product for multiple categories
- Expertise in design for manufacturing
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills; comfortable with communicating and interacting effectively at all levels within the organization, including senior management, customers, partners and suppliers
- Expert CAD and 3D photo-rendering, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Bike, scooter or auto design expertise is preferred
- Design studio expertise preferred
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top