Engineering Manager, Streaming
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. Our engineering managers are people with varying technical backgrounds and interests -- some are involved in the technical details of their team and others provide general technical direction and oversight. As managers, our job is to keep our teams efficient and executing on the right goals. We build teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build. We’re here to foster a healthy culture through collaboration and transparency, and we work with and serve varied constituencies to solve problems for Lyft.
More specifically, Lyft is one of a small number of companies whose core business actually moves in real-time. Our Streaming team is responsible for building and supporting the myriad real-time demands of the business. We work with Product to improve our driver and passenger experiences through real-time features. ETA, pricing, dispatch, and more - this work is at the heart of Lyft’s business and is a huge focus for the company in 2018 and 2019. If you’re interested in being at the center of Lyft’s efforts to deliver delightful experiences to our passengers and drivers, this might be the role for you.
- Proactively drive the vision for Streaming and real-time applications at Lyft
- Partner actively with product management, data science, and other engineering teams to deliver real impact in a timely fashion
- Define the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in all areas, including project management and system reliability
- Maintain and grow a high-quality Streaming team and design the team to scale
- Drive the design, building, and launching of new streaming platforms and data pipelines in production
- Manage development of our streaming platform and support new product launches built on said platform
- Define and manage SLAs for all streaming applications running in production
Experience and Skills:
- 3+ years of experience in Streaming and Real-time Applications
- Experience scaling and managing 5-20 person teams
- Experience scaling streaming environments built on layers of distributed systems
- Communication, leadership skills and project management skills, with the ability to initiate and drive projects proactively
- Experience in either streaming platforms (Flink, Spark, or similar) or distributed messaging (Kafka, Kinesis, or similar)
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or another technical field, or equivalent
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top