Engineering Manager, Simulation
At Lyft, the community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft’s engineering team is growing, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. Our engineers are thoughtful and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship code to production, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. Our engineering managers are people with varying technical backgrounds and interests -- some are involved in the technical details of their team and others provide general technical direction and oversight. As managers, our job is to keep teams agile and building on the right goals. We build teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a keen sense of ownership for the things they build.
Lyft’s Simulation Platforms team provides tooling that allows engineers to control simulated client users. We provide the ability to manage simulated robot clients that exercise Lyft’s public API. Millions of people use Lyft's client applications, and we exercise our platforms against the scale and behavior of those people. We are looking for experienced leaders to guide this team as they create software that’s used by engineers at Lyft. These are high support roles, as your work will have a multiplicative effect across Engineering, and contribute directly to Lyft’s overall stability.
- Lead engineering teams
- Work across Engineering to build relationships with other teams. Use their feedback and understand their goals to build and prioritize the roadmap.
- With the help of your team members, educate Engineering on best practices for building stable and well-monitored services
- Encourage and enforce the right behaviors to ensure we continue to ship quickly without compromising production stability
- Mentor and guide the development of your team members; help develop their careers and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the strengths and contributions of your team members
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, compelling projects, and shipping things quickly
- Instill a spirit of improvement in the teams’ code, architecture, and processes
- Collaborate with the Lyft recruiting team to hire potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- You have experience leading engineers at all levels, and guiding them through their career development
- You are steadfastly focused on your customers, and preferably have experience partnering with engineers as customers
- You have an eye for metrics and know how to measure the health of engineering teams
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and you’re committed to driving projects to completion creatively
- You can motivate and instill a keen sense of ownership in your team
- You have a technical background and can add to planning and design discussions
- You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and development of work
- You think ahead and build for the future
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top